Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pesky critters in the greenhouse

Posted by AdrianaG AL z7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 05 at 17:35

Does any of you have any suggestions for getting rid of mice in the greenhouse. I have already killed 4 but there is still at least one continuing to cause damage week after week. I have tried:

- Humanitarian traps baited with peanut butter on crackers - zero results
- Electronic replellers - No results
- Commercial Mouse/rat poison in paper packages - last year it worked, this year they have not nibbled them at all
- Traps with peanut butter - worked initially, that's how I caught the first 4, but the last one must be too smart. Plus, the ants in the greenhouse have developed a taste for peanut butter and they carry it off before the mice come out at night.
- Traps with bubble gum - at the suggestion of another greenhouse grower I tried this - no results and more damage.

Any suggestions? It is not wise to put a cat in the greenhouse.

Another friend want suggestions for dealing with frogs in his hydroponic greenhouse. Any syuggestions would be greatly appreciated. He is growing edibles so the problem is serious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pesky critters in the greenhouse

Boy can I relate. The only way I've been able to control them is to find their nest and destory it.So far I'm lucky this year and have found no mice. Maybe they got the hint.

PP

o

I am wondering why it is not wise to put a cat in the greenhouse. Every greenhouse I know has cats. We have 3 or 4, depending on the appetites of the local owls and fischers, but never any mice.

o

Don,
I am growing edibles in open perlite beds so introducing cats is not a great idea. There is the health and hygiene issue (think "dig-dig") and then there's the damage caused by a cat chasing a mouse across the growing bed.

o

Don,
I actually have a cat climb up the out side of our largest g/h. poking lots of wholes on the way. I was not a happy camper.

Adriana,
If the problem is that serious call a professional. You never know you might even find one with experiance with mice/gh problems.
It's worth a shot.

o

one part to manage mice, make sure they arnt easily coming from the outdoors. keep the area around ur houses short and clean. dont let an oldfield give u endless supply. make sure there are no openings, that expanding foam stuff is good for closing mini areas.
i would think the same would go with my bretherin, the frogs, tho ull find me in the greenhouse alot. sometimes u cant get me out either.

froggy (the hydroponic less frog)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here