Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medontdo

i'm wondering if anyone has a very cheap place to get 4' pots??

medontdo
16 years ago

i'm wanting to get them but i don't know alot about things, LOL i found some that a nice neighbor brought down for me, i LOVE them they are 4 1/2" tall x 5" wide, these are perfect for some things, like my mangos!! and some stuff!! LOL befor they get to big!! LOL but these one's i absolutely love, do ya'll have any idea on any cheap pots?

Comments (7)

• davemichigan
    16 years ago

I have the same question but probably for larger nursery pots. I am not a "professional garderner," but I am getting into hybridizing, and a with quick count I discovered that I will probably need at least 100 containers soon.

So I am looking for nursery pots. If I google, I can find tons for places, so my question is mainly on where you have purchased online (like is there something like a Home Depot except in specializing in gardening products and online)?

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

Shipping is usually going to cost you as much as the pots. I would suggest checking a few local nursery's in your area and see if they can give you a bulk (quantity price) on what you are looking for. As an example I carry 1,3,5,7 gallon trade black plastic pots (blow mold) for my customers and my use at the garden center I manage. Prices for singles range from 29 cents for 1's to 2.39 for 7's I am not out to make lots of money off my customers but to provide them as a service for their own growing needs where fancier pots are uncalled for. I would knock 20% off anyone needing 50 to 100 of any sizes I carry.
    Hope this helps. David

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

I just went to check the person I bought pots from on E-Bay and she is gone. Shipping wasn't that costly. Her name was Gena Rhue, Gena's Orchid Nursery in Florida. She had everything. Thank God I bought the pots when I did. 1 & 5 gallon. Sorry. Another person is advertising on E-Bay but the pots look used and nary the size selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• debinca1
    16 years ago

How many do you need?

Local nurseries often give away used pots in 4" and 1 gal, the one I worked at did. We charged a few cents for the bother of giving away the larger pots. One nursery on town has a bin where customers can drop off empty pots, and others can take them. You'd have to scrub and sanitize so thats your cost.

For larger sizes look up a local landscaper, they would gladly give them to you instead of hauling them to the dump. Trust me, I do a lot of planting for people who buy, but don't want to do the planting. I have tons of pots and have given them to anyone who will take them. One lady stopped by a job I was planting and asked for the pots. she got over 80 from us the following day.

Our Dump will take them but I have to drive them there, and there is no outlet for recycling, so personally I'd rather see them be used again. Its the green thing I guess.

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

I know there are places to get used pots and I do accept used pots and clean them during slow periods and put them back to use. I do let folks get a few here and there but I am working to keep my pricing down in the depressing economy and so I don't give away hundreds of anything unless I get way more than I can handle which in 3 year now has never happened. I ask customers if they aren't going to reuse to bring them back when they can and I will put them back to use. Many aspects of the trade continues to change and so the days of freebies are going to be harder to find not impossible but harder.
    I do wish you luck in getting all the containers you need and as cheap or free if possible.
    Happy planting David

• sandy0225
    16 years ago

Don't know if they're exactly 4" pots, but if you're in with a church, those elderly ladies eat a lot of yogurt, and they're always willing to save cups for us to recycle.
    All you have to do is drill a hole in the bottom, because they're already clean.
    The bigger the church, the more yogurt cups!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hi, this is my first time peaking around in here and I think I might be able to offer some help. Some friends of mine and I get together and purchase seed starting kits from Novosel. They have discounted pricing on larger orders and ship quickly. All of us have had positive experiences with their products and service. I just checked their site and they have the 4" pots for $0.11 each with a minimum order of 25 pots. I hope this helps!

Tracy

Here is a link that might be useful: Novosel Link

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths