Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Keep Chickweed out

Posted by johnaw z5 OHIO (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 21:59

I would like to know what I need to do to keep Chickweed out of my Perennial Garden and my Veg. Garden?

I did learn that it grows in the Winter time.

What do most of you do to kill it?

Does PREEM kill seeds or only stop the from geramtate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Keep Chickweed out

• Posted by jspece Josh - z4 IA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 13:38

I wish I knew how to eradicate chickweed, too!! Preen burns the root as it germinates...so the seedling dies. I've never been real happy with the results of Preen. I'm going to try Oryzalin...a generic Surflan...this year. I've heard excellent things about it, so I have high hopes. Round-up to get any early, perennial weeds and the pre-emergent for the rest. We'll see...the trick is going to be getting it here in time. I'm pushing it!

I field grow my hostas and weeding takes up a LOT of valuable time!

o
RE: How to Keep Chickweed out

You know, if you weed it out before it sets seed, you can really knock it back. In two years you can just about eliminate it's presence, so long as you don't let any scragglers go to seed later on down the road.

The good news is, it's an annual. Short lived, it only last through spring and then it'll be gone until this time next year. Not like a dandelion that will seed and grow a million times in one season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here