Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air root pruning pot options

Posted by nwhorthappy z8 WA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 07 at 0:02

I've tried some of the fabric pots from the Root Control line and am impressed with the kind of fibrous root growth I get with the woody shrubs I'm growing. But I'm always looking for homegrown options and I wonder if anyone has had experience in creating their own kind of air-root-pruning system? I don't care if it's labor intensive; I just want to use ready-at-hand products and save a bit of money.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air root pruning pot options

The following should work for you. It is based on some 'playing around' projects I have been working on with great success.

1. Purchase a roll of landscape (weed barrier) cloth. It should be the type which has a sort of black, velvety appearance on one side. This runs through a sewing machine with ease. Sorry, I can't remember the name of this particular landscape cloth at the moment.

2. Cut out a piece the needed height and length for pot side and sew the seam together.

3. Now, cut a circle and fit plus sew it to the bottom to complete the 'bag'.

4. At Walmart's notion counter you will find a waterproof glue designed to attach beading to garments. This works well. There are other types of glue but this one is my favorite. Glue all seams with this.

5. Cut a circle of heavy plastic to fit inside bottom of bag.

6. Dig hole for bag placement, insert bag, add soil and plant.

I can assure you that these will last for years. Once you begin working with the construction you should be able to figure out the method which goes together quickly. It is possible that you may want to fold over and sew the top of the bag for rigidity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here