Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_audge

Another year already...

bonsai_audge
16 years ago

Hello everyone!

I can't believe that it's been a year since I've last updated what's been going on in the UoG LA program. Time flies when you're having fun.

They say that second year is the craziest. I don't know how that will sound in 2 more years when I'm graduating (which is a frightening though), but looking back after just completing it, I definitely say that it the statement does have some merit. Other than regular school work, I was involved with the Landscape Architecture Student Society (LASS) as secretary, and also in the LABash 2008 Executive Committee, also as secretary.

Our first design project of the year was a therapeutic equestrian farm, just a short drive outside of Guelph. The farm is oriented towards disabled children, allowing them to discover a new freedom and confidence through riding. It was an interesting project, design-wise as the farm had no real overall plan to begin with and had more than its fair share of logistical/functional issues, and also as an actual project, since it was our first project done with a partner.

After a crazy series of events (burst blood vessel in my partner's eye, completely re-doing our plan 3 days before the project is due, running out of gas on the side of the highway, and several sleepless nights) we managed to pull through and pull together our project.

The driving theme of our design was discovery. First and foremost is the inner discovery within the users by increasing the efficiency, connectivity and capacity of the farm. The second was spatially - by creating a series of defined spaces which lead into one another. The last was aesthetic - giving the farm a sense of permanence, timelessness, and the impression that it was discovered after an undefined eternity.

Master Plan:

Discovery Pavilion:

The second, and last, project of the first semester was the plan for the Centro Arte para la Paz (Centre of Peace through the Arts) in Suchitoto, El Salvador. As you may or may not know, El Salvador was embroiled in a civil war a few decades ago. There is still lasting animosities and tensions which have had large implications on daily life, even to this day.

The Centre is located in an abbey which was abandoned during the civil war. There are classrooms, a computer lab, plans for galleries, performance hall, hostel, caf and a tienda (small store). The gardens were meant to be an extension of the programming inside; allowing for display of artworks, performances, meditation, contemplation, and inspiration.

My design focused on simplicity and transitions. Simplicity was the driving aesthetic behind the design to provide a clean backdrop for the activities which were to take place within, for artworks to be displayed, and for reflection. A variety of spaces, from small, intimate display areas, winding meditative paths, larger transitional areas, and a central space with stage, amphitheatre, and labyrinth, allow users to have a space in which they feel the most comfortable.

The 2nd-semester project was a semester-long one, involving a group research portion and a design aspect. The subject was the Jarvis Street Slip (as I had mentioned on a previous thread) in the East Bayfront, along with Toronto Waterfront. It had currently been the subject of a design competition, the entries (Claude Cormier, Janet Rosenberg + Associates, and West8 + DTAH) of which can be found on the Waterfront Toronto website.

The concept behind this design was Process. The context itself is in the process of making the transition from an industrial-age heritage to a forward-thinking, sustainable, mixed-use, technologically-driven community. A Diamond + Schmitt building borders one side, intended to house the new headquarters for Corus Entertainment.

A series of spaces gradually change in size, shape, and orientation as the user moves from the entrance towards the waterfront. Reclaimed industrial pieces such as scaffolding, beams, and frames are placed throughout the site. Heavy, rusted, rugged in appearance, functional in form, they give way to a glittering, translucent Ned Kahn installation and crystal cafe. The movement from heavy to light, opaque to clear, is meant to mirror the transition from old to new and to mediate the difference between the Redpath Sugar Refinery, an industrial relic on one side of the site, and the Corus Entertainment building.

- Audric

Comments (6)

• laag
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very cool. A lot of people won't understand that projects like this teach you a way of thinking that you would have great difficulty learning any other way. That way of thinking then applies to whatever project you are working on no matter how big or how small. Then you think like a designer and not like a gardener.

Whoa! Flashback - did I once say something like that to you in one of your earliest posts before you decided to go to school? thinking like a gardener vs. designer?

• inkognito
    16 years ago

That "hello everyone" has a hollow ring audge don't you think. You are a diamond and you doan need no steenkin' software. Andrew already said the flashback thing and me I am glad that we were able to use the internet in a positive way that brought you to this.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Very nice, Audric! The presentations are impressive both in concept and execution and in my opinion, look like the work of those far in advance of second year students :-)) If this is representative of Guelph product, they are unleashng some very talented designers out into the world and we are all luckier for it.

• nandina
    16 years ago

You are on your way, Audric, to becoming a major contributor to landscape design. Thank you for sharing your world of 'discovery' with us. When you have a bit of time I would urge you to read "The Devil in the White City" by Eric Larson published in 2006. It is a fast, gripping read with part devoted to Frederick Olmsted's last years in poor health as he landscapes the Chicago World's Fair in the late 1800's. Fascinating, true story.

• watergal
    16 years ago

audric,

I've really enjoyed following your journey into the landscaping world over the past years. You obviously have tremendous talent and potential. I wish you all the best.

• bonsai_audge
    Original Author
    16 years ago

History has a way of repeating itself, methinks, Andrew. It's always interesting looking back on a year and seeing the same things done over and over again, but never done in the same way. Not to say that there wasn't a fair share of new ideas, projects, tasks, timelines, and expectations. The gardener vs. designer aspect is a dichotomy highly prevalent in my class with many students thinking in terms of what to put into a space as opposed to what type of space they want to create. However, I've noticed that people are starting to change their approach. Slowly, but it is there.

Ink, it all depends on how you read it ; ) Unfortunately, I have to admit that my projects are highly computer-programmed based, especially for the presentation layout and reproduction. I have yet to actually produce a design on AutoCAD; there have only been a handful who actually do so or have done so in the past. The most popular program is SketchUp for rendering perspectives. Definitely not for design. I wonder if that will change over the course of the next two years. Looking at the 4th-year thesis presentations, most [site design] projects were done by hand.

I must go for now - I just came back from a trip to Vancouver and my stomach is complaining since I'm 3 hours out of synch. Thank you for all the kind comments; I shall hopefully back with more.

- Audric

Sponsored