Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Nuts In Containers

Posted by MizMelody2001 OK, 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 1:00

I live in Oklahoma, in zone 7, where I am renting a small house with a small yard. In an effort to save money and eat healthier, I am growing various berry bushes and dwarf fruit trees in large plastic tubs. I hope to buy land in the future, but it may be many years before it is affordable. I would like to grow hazelnuts (Dorris and Yamhill) and Almonds (All in One) in large containers (that aren't too big to move when we need to) but I am not sure that this is doable long term. I would like to ask the more experienced gardeners for their advice. Also, would the Dorris and Yamhill cultivars successfully cross pollinate so that they would both produce nuts? I am also interested in obtaining a couple of the dwarf bush Carpathian walnut trees that Garfield Shults reportedly has for sale, but I have not be able to contact him or anyone else who may have them for sale. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone may have. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Nuts In Containers

I find it difficult to rustle up enthusiasm for this project. I strongly suggest that you devote your container growing to the vast number of veggies that do so well within the constraints of a container. Woody plants.....not so much, especially nut trees.....especially not for ' many' years.

Check out the Container Forum for advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here