Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marathon Granular

Posted by kellyj MN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 07 at 9:04

I am about to use the Marathon 1% granular in my greenhouse and am interested in feedback...positive/negative/the easiest way to apply. Any information would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marathon Granular

Be sure to read and follow all of the directions exactly. It's a very hazardous product.

o

I have been using the liquid and granuals since it came out. No problem works very good. Just follow direction .----Upnortdareh

o

• Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 11:11

I use it all the time. It works well on fungus gnat larvae, whitefly, aphids, thrips, scale, etc. Doesn't work at all on mites. I just scatter it on top of the soil. Be sure not to leach for the first several waterings, or you'll reduce the effectiveness - it's all on the label. For most plants, only apply once a year.

I read where one person suggested making little holes, putting the stuff in, then covering, so when you stick your finger in later to check watering needs, you're not touching the stuff. Probably not a bad idea, but it takes too much time, so I don't bother.

o

One thing that is often overlooked on the directions is that Marathon can only be used once per crop cycle. That is a label change since the product first came on the market. There was some resistance developing in whiteflies due to overuse.

The other thing I am really careful about is timing the application correctly. Only actively growing plants will uptake the material.

I have found it to be very effective when used properly. And to reiterate what Watergal said, you have to be very careful watering for about 10 days after application.

o

I have had good results with granular merit in atriums, but if you are using it to control mealy, have your sprayer loaded and ready cuz those buggers will run straight to the top of everything!
Aaah...snow indoors...icky.

o

Ooh, mealy snow. Yucky, yucky, yucky. Except during the holiday season, when you can just charge extra for the "snow flocking"!! Hee hee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here