Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watergal_gw

Perennials survived last summer's drought!

watergal
16 years ago

I was sure I had lost a lot of perennials last year because of the water restrictions - ferns, candylily, tiarella, spiderwort, etc. But amazingly, everything except possibly one fern has resprouted! I guess they all just went dormant really early last summer. Plants are smart!

Several of the azaleas are toast, though. :(

Comments (3)

• rachel_z6
    16 years ago

if your perennials were established, then yeah, they tend to go dormant earlier. I didn't water anything last year except the vegetable garden and nursery stock, and one strip with impatiens/hosta/roses/hydrangea. the hostas that got no water went dormant about two weeks earlier. tons of people have told me they lost azaleas last summer. i hope it's just the drought and not sudden oak death spreading.

• watergal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rachel, that makes sense, most of the perennials were well established, but I had a few newer ones that pulled through too.

Even the fern I mentioned earlier that I thought died had new fronds today! Woohoo!

Last year I spot watered the thirstiest shrubs (hydrangea and aucuba). The small number of container veggies, herbs, and flowers got watered. Everybody else was on their own (I don't grow veggies in the ground any more). Even the pond got really, really low.

As for the azaleas, my dh and I have an ongoing battle about them. They are "his" plants - he likes to select them, plant them in unsuitable locations (too sunny), and rarely fertilizes or waters them. So yeah, they don't do so well! I keep hoping he'll figure it out, he seems to ignore my not-so-subtle suggestions...

• watergal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

whoops, I meant to post this on the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum. My bad!