Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb118_gw

Grand Opening Suggestions Please!

deb118
19 years ago

I am planning a Grand Opening of my Nursery, Mother's Day weekend. Any ideas for gimicks? I plan on advertising for the event. I was thinking of a door prize. Any sugestions to make this a great event, would be apriciated!

TYIA!

Comments (16)

• creatrix
    19 years ago

Offer a few classes? Local experts, designers, master gardeners, suppliers. Fertilization tips- what do all those numbers mean. Tough perennials for our area. Annual combinations, planting containers. Audabon Society- planting for the birds, Native Plant Society.

Offer a free 4-pack of annuals for all mothers.

• miss_rumphius_rules
    19 years ago

Great ideas above. How about--Container Gardening--bring a container and we'll supply the plants and design expertise. Of course you'll charge--a minimal amount to cover the cost of plants, but think how much more they'll buy...

• bonsai_audge
    19 years ago

I'm not sure if you are planning to, but open a few days in advance, before the Grand Opening, so that you can spot any problems that should be addressed in advance.

-Audric

• GrassIsEvil
    18 years ago

Do you know a photographer? Let him set up a booth to take photographs of mothers and children and you supply some lovely plants for the background. He could charge his usual prices, and you make no guarantees, but you can make the offer.

The door prize might be a six-month flower subscription. If you do subscriptions, this might be an opportunity to sell some.

Put out some Father's Day items for one-stop shopping.

Do you have some teenagers who could volunteer to help children with Mother's Day cards? They can involve the adult children also. (We did a family card of using fingerpaint to make a handprint--from daddy's hand down to the smallest child, each handprint smaller than the one underneath it.)

Pot up ivy or something cheap and sturdy in Dixie cups to let children pick as a gift to their mother.

Good luck.

Ray

• froggy
    18 years ago

mom's day is mighty late in the year to be opening, unless u only sell annuals.

ideas include;
    magnet with ur name on it for the fridge,
    a mum for every mom,
    u buy the plant, u buy the pot, we will design it for u,
    'Pot up ivy or something cheap and sturdy in Dixie cups to let children pick as a gift to their mother.' froggy

• deb118
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. Froggy, why would you say Mother's day is late in the year? That is the general kick off around here. And you are even farther north. Things are just waking up right now, and Mother's Day is only 4 weeks away. I cant imagine opening much sooner. There would be nothing ready before then. From last years experience, buyers do not like to buy things that are not blooming.

• deeproots
    18 years ago

beware of free food, around here that pulls up some mighty interesting (and often drunk) people.

• moferg
    18 years ago

I was involved in a home and garden show and used this idea. I dressed everyone the same red checkered shirts , blue jeans and a straw garden hat. My plan was to get the peoples attention and to get them to walk into the total landscape I had setup. As they walked into my area they were handed a coupon for a free tomatoe plant. In 2 days I had over 3000 people walk in my display and out of that i had over 400 came to my nursery to get one free tomatoe plant. It was simple and cheap . the best thing it got people to my nursery. good luck

• flowersforeverbd
    18 years ago

hi deb- as another first year greenhouse girl- i too am doing a grand opening- advice given to me was to hold off on the grand opening til a little later- as mentioned by someone else- i thought about waiting til first of june- then maybe will help get rid of any excess annuals not sold yet. when advertising for our opening date- will state that a grand opening is coming.i am going to do classes on weekends- but not at grand opening day as i want to be able to spend time with customers that day. think if i have any classes or info booths- would have someone else handling them.as for food -i am keeping it simple and doing cheeses,butters,cookies and easy foods that i can use the herbs in that i am selling.i am giving a coupon (made on computer) for 10% off next purchase to get repeat customers.i have gardens for them to tour- hopefully enticing more sales.will have free flyers with gardening info and afree plantfor which i am growing mimosa- it closes when you touch it-fun.think i will keep door prize simple also- basket or nice big planted container. any ideas are welcome!!!!! good luck deb- let us know how it goes and when you decide to do it- are you close enough to coldwater for me to come ? !!!!

• deb118
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi flowers!
    Thanks for the tips. Right now, I'm not sure if I'll have it Mother's Day or not. We purchased a poly-house from a Frank's store, and the weather did not co-operate in getting it up in time. It's up now, but still getting the sides on, and OH SO MUCH clean up yet to do!!!! I have 4 small 12 x 20 houses that a jam packed, with more being delivered tomorrow. I'm not sure where Coldwater is, but I am just south of Michigan City, IN. Is that close? lol

• flowersforeverbd
    18 years ago

hi deb- i know michigan city is close enough for my sisiter to go gambling there all the time! not me- cant get me out of the greenhouses!we have two 17 by 48 houses and one is full of perennial we wintered over and the other is where we are doing all the annuals. we are packed too- we started a lot from seed and so far- satisfied. plant inspector came today and ok'd everything.sure seems to be an awful lot todo to get things the way i want in just two more weeks!!! one of my obstacles is pricing? im not good at that and have an amish lady very close by and she sells very cheap and really has a nice product.think i may have to keep explaining that i have a gas and light bill that she doesnt! lol!

• deb118
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You over wintered perennials in the GH? Was it heated? I may have to pick your brain some day. LOL

• sweetpea_path
    18 years ago

Deb118 ~ check out the link to the grower below. She hosts several parties a year at her nursery and has lots of photos posted of her events. Might give you some ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Annuals, in California

• flowersforeverbd
    18 years ago

hi deb- yes i did store perennials in a not heated gh. just for a little protection from winter since they were in pots.some i thought would thrive early -didnt. most did well enough that i will do it again.hostas did great. just moved them out this weekend. was worried about them being so big and going outside with no protection now- but so far doing well even with our wind. would like to have better contact with you since we seem to be doig so much alike and new at so much. did you start many seeds? we did a lot!!! what did you do last year and plan to do this year for advertising? we are out in country and really need to get people here to buy all this stuff!!! lol!!! i want to pay for it so i can do it again!!!

• debinca1
    18 years ago

2 very successful things we do every year on our anniversary celebration.

Have a local 4-H or FFA Chapter do a small petting zoo, and run the barbeque. They also run carts and help customers load the car. We purchase the food the parents cook, young people serve and run the petting zoo. They have a donation jar and get to keep the earnings.

Also one of the Ag kids runs a table where little kids can pot a plant to give to mom, 2 inch clay pots donated by our vendor, a couple flats of panseys in 6 packs donated by a grower , we supply the soil 2 bags max.

Have fun! its fun. Tiring but fun.

• deb118
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey flowers! I sent you an e-mail! :)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?