Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too hot for palm seeds???

Posted by jojofshby 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 10:50

I have recently gone the venture of growing some rare varieties of palm seeds from an online source. I followed recomendations about soaking, germination mediums,methods, etc etc. My question is what temperature is too hot for palm seed germination.i know that between 80-90F, is ideal. I have purchased over 40 different varieties of palm,bannana, and agave seeds. And used the bag method as well as heatmats to increase germination but the temp has increased in Naples,Fl over the days to about 88-95F day time and 70F at nite.I decided to check the temps of some of the bags and too my dismay some of them had reached 116F. Did i cook my seeds and lose any chance of viability? They were on heatmats for about a week and a half. The soil remained moist in all the bags.HELP!!! Did i just kill all those seeds?!?!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too hot for palm seeds???

The ideal temp is SOIL TEMPERATURE not air temp.
are you direct sowing if not shade cloth will reduce air temp 10-20 degrees & therefore soil temp.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here