Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellygreen_sc

Care for Field Grown Nellie Stevens

Kellygreen_SC
19 years ago

I am new to this website and am hoping someone can advise me about some neglected Nellie Stevens. I recently not only married into a great relationship but also into about 200+ Nellie Stevens planted in a field. Several years ago a friend of my husband convinced him to plant Nellie Stevens liners for some extra cash. The friend is long gone but the Nellies are now 4-6 ft tall and have never been pruned. Most of them are somewhat leggy and have bare stems from about 3-4ft (drought? fetilizer? lack of pruning?). Neither one of us know what to do with them and we would be so grateful if anyone could offer advice or point us in the right direction. We are wondering if we can recover them with some pruning/attention and possibly root the cuttings to start over with properly cared for plants in pots?

Thanks for any advice!!

Comments (5)

• calliope
    19 years ago

So, what is a Nellie Stevens?

• nandina
    19 years ago

Kellygreen,
    As a former grower of holly including Ilex Nellie Stevens I am not certain just what advice to give you. From your description it sounds as though the hollies probably have little commerical value. There must be a large retail nursery/landscape business as a potential buyer near you which encouraged the friend to suggest planting the liners in the first place. If so, it might be wise to have the owner of such a business look at the situation and advise you. This would make sense before you invest time and money into the project. You need professional advice from someone on the scene. It takes a skilled hand to propagate holly from cuttings. Also, there are a few 'tricks' to pruning holly. Nellie Stevens is a very popular holly which grows well in the south. It could be a good cash crop for someone with extra land and a predetermined market.

• sam_md
    19 years ago

'Nellie Stevens' holly is a highly desirable holly. It is commonly field-grown on the DelMarVa peninsula. If your plants are bare for the first 3-4' maybe it was competition from weeds? All is not lost, why not grow them on as limbed up trees? Either way the tops will have to be thickened up and now is the time to do it by pruning. 200+ is really not that many, just be sure to keep the weeds away by hoeing if nothing else.
    Sam

• Kellygreen_SC
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Nandina and Sam! What I should have said is that many of the plants are green and bushy at the bottom then have a bare spot from about 3'-4' and then are green again at the top. However, that still leaves the potential for making "trees" out of them by trimming the bottom. We could try some agresive pruning also I suppose. Anyway, I have sent an email to our county agricultural extension office and will follow up with a phone call today to see if they know someone who can come take a look at them.

• shortnjackson_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have a Nellie Steven at both front corners of my house and a friend also has them at the corners of hers. Her bushes had not been trimmed in many years and she also suffered the bottom and top with bush and the middle bare. I created a topiary out of them. Now they look like very expensive bushes which goes with her beautiful house. If they are too wacked out, I would be creative and create a topiary effect. Done well, you increase the value of your bushes by a heck of a whole lot. Look at gardens of Europe for ideas.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths