Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long does it take to plant an apple tree?

Posted by GGInnovators 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 13:19

I am installing 25 apple, pear and peach trees at the end of the month.

I have installed trees before but I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how much time this is going to take me.

Working with a crew of 2 people (including me).. How long would it take to plant one small (8-10ft) tree?

Does anyone have any idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long does it take to plant an apple tree?

As long as it takes you to dig a hole, place the tree in, and fill the hole back up. When I worked for an orchard, It would take two people about five minutes to plant 25 trees. Of course this was with a tree planter and in a straight row. Digging by hand, it is going to depend on the type of soil. Soft topsoil, might take you a half day. Shale or rock, you might be there a few days. Are you and your friend hard workers? or do you take coffeeor smoke breaks more than you work? Need more info to say for sure.

o

GG, wd don't have enough information! Can we assume that the holes will all be hand dug? What kind of soil? Are the trees bare root, container grown, or field grown? Does anyone know how to hand dig a properly shaped and measured hole?

o

The whole will be dug by hand. I spent the last two years working at a show garden and installed many, many plants and shrubs, I have read and talked extensivly about the proper size hole and I surpervised a crew last year installing evergreens. I do know how to dig the proper size hole just have no idea how long it is going to take. They are small about 8ft, 3-4yr old apple trees, container grown, holes will be dug by hand. The soil is pretty soft, we are hard workers.

We will first be removing the grass from the whole area, digging out the holes, planting the trees, topping the filled holes with compost, mulching the entire area, seeding and planting some annuals and perennials (mostly herbs and lavender) then using hardware cloth to create tree guards, spraying with organic orchard spray and installing soaker hoses. I think that is it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here