Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
renting greenhouse space

Posted by mbrown297 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 05 at 13:34

I'm a small grower selling to restaurants in central NJ. I'm thinking about trying to rent some space in a local greenhouse before I invest in a larger greenhouse for myself. I have no idea if this is possible, or what the cost might be. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks,
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: renting greenhouse space

Since you are looking for space at a premium time, expect it not to be cheap. I was approached by someone wanting to do the same and I priced it out at my expected yield per square foot of bench space ($25.00 sq ft). She wanted about 100 sq ft. and when she did the math she turned purple.... lolol..

Also, what kind of growing will you be doing? How much care is the greenhouse owner responsible for? If you are doing your own plant care, what do you know about IPM (Integrated Pest Management)? I would not want anyone else putting their plants near my crop.

o
RE: renting greenhouse space

I get this question all the time and due to my circumstance I have other people's plants all the time (unfortunately no rent) and it is a nightmare with pests, poor space management, poor water management,etc. Plus, if you are selling for consumption, you might not want your plant material in a greenhouse where certian pesticides are in use.

You might be better off to rent an existing but unused greenhouse. I know around here (central MD) there are businesess that have failed but the structure exists and there are several vocational schools and high schools that do not use their greenhouses anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here