Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thistle5_gw

Spring at our garden center

thistle5
17 years ago

This is my 2nd year working at a garden center, & while this time of the year is crazy, I still love it! We're getting in so many gorgeous plants everday, that I'm going broke buying them. I was able to clock out a little early yesterday & bring my kids (11 & 8)in for 'bring our sons & daughters to work' day. I cleared it w/ my bosses a week ago, got the kids from school & we 'worked' for 2.5 hours. My son, Tom, did a great job-he got to move lots of plants, carts, tag plants-he was just sorry we wouldn't let him drive the forklift. My daughter (it was her birthday & she's been wanting to go in forever) couldn't do as much, she's small, she wanted to know why we were all moving so fast?...Even with the computer problems, understaffing, crazy customers, I still look forward to going in every morning-hope everyone else is having a great spring!...

Comments (3)

• watergal
    17 years ago

I work as an interior landscape technician, and I brought my then 13-year-old daughter with me last year. It was fun. She liked seeing what I do, and she was a great help for getting to some of the extra tasks that I normally don't have time for. But the best part was seeing how darn TIRED she was and how much her feet hurt at the end of the day. Now she has a whole new respect and understanding for why Mom is tired when she gets home!

• viola8
    17 years ago

Spring means 45-50 hours a week. Split days off. Phone messages/emails/special requests/problems pile up on days off. Radio on from the time I arrive until I leave. Phone never stops ringing. Always a deadline for getting an order in. Check the weather report several times a week. Fundraisers, donations, Mother's Day, events at the nursery.... We grow, too, so keep an eye on those growing houses, and keep up with plug orders.

Rarely get to look at most of our stock. I do an inventory of my area once a week and love to see the plants and flower colors and the hummingbirds at work. Love to see the evening sky as I leave. Love to hear the Canada Geese honking on their way north. Love the fact several of us have been there for many, many years.

By the time I get home I crave total peace and quiet. And I am so exhausted I have no energy to work in my own yard.

So here it's my day off and I'm on Gardenweb and have already downloaded an availability so I can get an early start on next week's orders. Wow, do plants fascinate me.

My grandkids are coming over for the day, and we will spend it in the yard puttering about. Can hardly wait till they get here. I taught them to sniff flowers. We're making cookies one day and one asks what's that? I tell him flour, and before I knew it he had his little nose down in the measuring cup sniffing:)

We have trikes and trucks and an outdoor play kitchen and a water/sand table. But they want to play in the soil and use the little water cans to water everything.

I love it!

I keep thinking someday when I retire I can really spend time in my garden. But I will not have my terrific discount at work any more! There's just so winning...

I can't think what else I would want to do if I didn't work in a garden center....

• thistle5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I know what you mean about not seeing what's out there. I'm a cashier, we get multiple deliveries everyday of the week, & I'm constantly quizzing everyone, 'So, what did we get?' Sometimes, I only see it if they bring it to the counter (& usually, carts get written up outside, so I may not even see it). I hate to come in on my days off, I feel guilty about not working fulltime +, like other folks in the spring.

I also hate it when customers come in, & say, "well, I left my name, for when you got 'whatever' in, & I found it out there, & noone called me."-we're getting so many plants in right now, & we do manage to call alot of people, but there's always going to be some that we miss. Phone rings off the hook, there's always someone complaining, "It's how much? right down the road, I can get it for..."

Gardeners are still the best people to handle, retail, they're getting seedlings, gloves, mulch, they don't mind short waits, everyone is optimistic about spring & the upcoming weather...

Sponsored