Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using roses in the landscape... businesses, etc.

Posted by Taupe79 z5 Illinois (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 05 at 15:59

I have noticed quite a few businesses, malls, doctor's offices, restaurants, etc have landscaping companies use various shrub roses in their landscaping. I was wondering what varieties of roses work well in these settings? They usually seem to be white or pink and covered with blooms the entire summer. What varieties have you used or would you consider using? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using roses in the landscape... businesses, etc.

The "Carefree" series, Carefree delight, Carefree wonder, are good ones Also Shrub rose Knockout ( cherry red) is a great one! ( No spraying constant blooming!) Pretty Lady is a good one too. Alot of the modern shrub roses are easy care, well suited to landscaping! Lee

o
RE: Using roses in the landscape... businesses, etc.

In zone 5, rugosas are great. Carefree, disease resistant, repeat blooming, and fragrant. Hansa is a great one and there are many others. Ask on the Antique Rose Forum for more zone 5 suggestions.

I think one of the major requirements in a landscape rose for a public area should be that it's not what the public perceives as a "rose", i.e., no high centered large bloom style roses. Those get cut, stolen, and dug up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here