Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Do you have just a few minutes...

gardenlady48
19 years ago

I would be extremely grateful to any pro that can suggest some planting for this small area included in following picture. It is the entrance to local high school. We are just community gardeners and would like some other ideas to compare with. Thank you in advance. The area is 20x40 and standing on the sidewalk looking at the brick wall is West.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v363/headgrdnr/AstoriaHighSchoolProject.jpg

Comments (3)

• bonsai_audge
    19 years ago

I, personally, would like to see something done with that wall. It's extremely imposing. Possibly vines, but those can get equally imposing once established. Maybe tall trellises with more (tamed) vines? I suppose you have to be careful in choosing the right balance in hardiness and in control-ability (is that a word?).

Possibly have concrete pavers underneath each of the tables, forming almost a "rug," with some super-tough groundcovers around. Goutweed (I think) is impossible to kill. And, because the area is surrounded on all 4 sides (or more) with concrete, you'll have little problems with it escaping.

Underneath the tree looks like it probably get a lot of foot traffic. If so, then I think it would be a losing battle to attempt to grow anything there.

For the side closer to the viewer, I would probably do a drift of tough-growing shrubs starting wider near the door, then as it moves to the left, gradually decreasing it in height and width. You want to leave plenty of space beside the pathway, as students, when crowded, have no compunction against walking on the grass (or plants, if there are any).

Inside the drift, a ring of tougher plants should surround the centre, which could then have slightly less hardy, but more showy, plants which would provide the bulk of the interesting. Perimeter plants could be artic (tri-coloured) willows, spireas, junipers. Inside plants could be taller-growing evergreens, like pieris, deciduous plants with interesting leaves or branches like dogwood, (or possibly even a flowering (smaller) tree like sandcherry, crabapple, etc. Intersperse plantings with evergreens, a) for winter interest and b) to discourage people from cutting through (at winter time). Another option is putting in the bright-orange "snow" fencing to prevent people from cutting across, but it is extremely unsightly.

I'd avoid using any landscape fabric, as this like those tend to surface and then be (unceremoniously) ripped out, along with anything on top of it. Smaller, seasonal plantings can also be arranged. Choose bulbs that are rodent resistant and will naturalize (daffodils) and have some annuals (possibly from seed) that will offer some summertime blooms.

Above all, think like a kid! (I.e. no respect for anything : P)

-Audric

• gardenlady48
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Audric- Wow,we are thinking similar. I forgot to mention that in the right corner near the doors, is an existing lilac, 'sensation'. I think the wall needs some vertical interest also...what about juniperus, 'sky rocket'? You mention the shrubs starting wider and taller at the door and getting smaller going left, just wondering why? Thanks.

• bonsai_audge
    19 years ago

I was thinking about suggestion some tall vertical shrubs as well. How interesting! My major concern would be with roots (planting a tall shrub right beside the wall) and also with the wear-and-tear that they would get from being right beside the tables.

As for the drift of shrubs, I'm not actually talking about the shrubs themselves but the entire drift. I was thinking about that to kinda follow the contours of the pathway, and also to be able to add some visual bulk/height without having to feel obligated to extending it the entire way. That way, as the bed extends further, the height of the shrubs decreases along with the width of the bed. That way, you don't have a large, flat plane of shrubs. Also, lower shrubs further away from the door won't decrease visability as much.

-Audric