Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape fabric does not allow water through

Posted by yam2006 Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 19:13

I applied Vigoro landscape fabric to a large planter. The next day I noticed standing puddles of water all over the fabric where the sprinkler system had run. Over the course of the day, the puddles remained there.

The landscape fabric claims to be water permeable. Am I doing something wrong? This fabric is completely useless if it is waterproof!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape fabric does not allow water through

If it's not water permeable, then it will also resist the exchange of soil and atmospheric gases. Sounds like a pretty bad deal to me.

o

It is not supposed to be. The ad:

Stops weeds
Lets air and water through
Continuous fibers add strength and puncture resistance
Rough surface helps hold mulch in place

For questions about this product please contact 1-800-327-9462

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

That's odd. Why did you use the landscape fabric in a planter - weed control? I would take a photo, yank it out, and return it to the manufacturer, using your photo for evidence if they give you a hard time.

o

I got a reply from Vigoro. They say that the fabric comes from the factory with a waterproof layer, but the layer breaks apart after it is installed (they call this "breaking the surface tension"). I'll keep a close eye on it for the next few days and see what happens.

o

Sounds shaky to me. I"ve always resisted putting in weed barrier fabric for the very reason you describe. Surface tension is the physical properties of a liquid... that statement makes no sense to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here