Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millerthyme_gw

Designer Desperately Seeking Business Advise

millerthyme
13 years ago

Hello -- I'm hoping someone may have some input on this subject, as I'm in a rather difficult situation (health problems) and starting to feel very hopeless. I'm a landscape designer, with my own company, primarily serving middle class residential clients for the past 6 years. I do conceptual designs with planting diagrams/schematics, and also do soil preparation and plant installation whenever possible, as well as manage projects that involve hardscaping and construction (when I can convince the client that it is really in their best interest to hire me to do so!). I'm good at what I do, and have worked on everything from tiny planting jobs, to full scale residential projects which included pretty much every element that one could desire in a landscape. I have a knack for foresight, so I'm good at solving problems, and knowing what will and won't work when it comes to the build process.

I live in an area where, in general, there is a lot of interest in gardening and spending time outdoors in nice spaces, which is good, but this also means there is intense competition in my area from other's in the field��and the past few years has seen an intense decline in available gigs. I'm pushing 50, female, single, live on my own and have no family to fall back on during hard times. I'm also currently dealing with a multitude of health issues which has made it difficult for me to get out there and do what I would need to do at this time, to generate new leads. Also, unfortunately, for one (ridiculous) reason or another, I'm finding that I am not eligible for any government assistance, in any form, at this time�..and since I'm dealing with health problems that are quite often debilitating, I cannot go out and get a job and work for someone else. I pretty much have to do my own thing, when I'm feeling my best, and fortunately I am still able work on designs and even manage doing installs too by taking more of a supervisory position and guiding others to do the vast majority of the work for me.

All that said, in the past 4 1/2 months, I have only had one decent design job come in, and one very small design job come in. No installs. I sent out about 10 quotes in Feb/March but nobody hired me, despite my good references and having loved my portfolio. I gave very competitive prices, but everyone in the middle class seems to be looking to get something for nothing at this time. I'm just about at the financial ruin point, and like I said, I have lots of health issues at the moment as well (none of which have improved yet with treatments tried), so I'm feeling pretty hopeless. Unless I can think of some other type of work I can do, mostly from home, it seems my only recourse is to work at getting my business noticed more, and getting noticed FAST, so I can generate leads into jobs. I also believe that I need to reach the high end, if I'm to have a real chance of making a decent income, since this sector seems to be the only one that understands the value of design.

So�..keeping the above info in mind, does anyone have any ideas/knowledge for how I could possibly get my business noticed more, and generate leads, and more specifically, how can I reach the high end? I'm capable of doing so much more than the middle class residential designs that I've been working on the past few years, and my financial situation is critical at this point. I do have a couple of nice high-end-ish portfolio pieces, and I was also a featured designer in our regional garden show as well.

Holding tight and hoping for some ideas!

Thanks,

MT

Comments (4)

• bahia
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sound to me like you might be better off working as a consultant for another larger or more established firm. Or perhaps specializing in work that may be less glamorous but is always in demand, such as doing cost estimating or helping to produce construction documents for another firm. Those are the sorts of work tasks in the design world that always need additional staff, and the most likely to fit in with your need to earn immediate cash. You probably also know that high end garden maintenance and fine pruning are skill sets that are also always in demand, but it doesn't sound like you have the physical capabilities to do that sort of work with whatever your health problems are.

I think you know that there aren't any easy methods for generating new work, I'd suggest you work your previous client list and ask if they can give you referrals, that has always been my single best source of new work. Giving slide shows or talks for local garden clubs, local nurseries, local horticulture societies has also always brought in some immediate work for me, but they usually tend to be smaller jobs and budgets. Getting linked in with contractors or architects/interior designers who specialize in remodels or kitchen design also seems to be a good source of work, as people spending $50,000 or more on a kitchen remodel are already prequalified to be more disposed to spend money on their home, and this may transfer to the garden if your work/designs speaks to them.

It doesn't hurt to be friendly with owners and staff at local nurseries to generate referrals, and I appreciate having a strong network of fellow garden designers as friends, and we throw work each other's way when possible or necessary.

None of these are sure fire methods for getting new clients and immediate work, but you may not have thought of them.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

I understand your concern and can sympathize - I have several designer friends that are seriously feeling the pinch. The economy is affecting the landscape design marketplace overall and jobs - any jobs - are becoming much less frequent.

All of David's advice above is excellent. The only other thought I could add would be to associate yourself with a better local retail nursery. Often they will have listing of designers for referral or sometimes even work out a partnership with a dedicated designer. I was fortunate to find a relationship like this and even in a weak economy and in a rather rural area, I am not hurting for jobs. But they are pretty much the only game in town except for the box stores, so everyone in the area comes to my nursery. Not necessarily high-end (although it does attract a very upscale market nearby) but still reliable and consistent work.

Have you considered mentoring or garden coaching? This is a pretty popular niche market in my area and generally schools the DIY'er on various gardening practices or techniques/design issues that they are unfamiliar with. Tends to be more seasonal than not but another source of labor-light income. And of course any kind of speaking/teaching opportunities are great. I'd look into whatever credentials you might need to take advantage of these as well. I teach at a local hort school parttime (as well as offering free classes at the nursery on their paycheck) and do all manner of garden club, plant association or parks department gigs whenever I can.

Assess and evaluate your skills as thoroughly as you can and then look for opportunities to market them in less traditional ways. Writing, teaching, consulting, coaching are all ways one can extend design skills and plant knowledge into other sources of income.

• marya13
    13 years ago

So sorry to hear about your situation. I wanted to second bahia's suggestion about seeking to get connected with architects or designers. We recently finished a major renovation, and when it came time to interview landscape designers we got a referral from our architect. Since by that time we knew him well and trusted his taste, his referral carried weight, and in fact we ended up hiring that designer.

Good luck, and courage!

• millerthyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you kindly to all who posted suggestions and words of support. :) Some great ideas! I know I need to get more involved with networking, but unfortunately when one is not well, that is a very difficult thing to do, so it has been at the bottom of my list. Maybe I can make a point to email one contractor or designer a day, to try and make a connection....

We do have an upscale nursery in my city, however it is owned by a large close-knit family, and they keep all the design work "in house" (I've approached them before). I've actually found this to be true of most of the nurseries that are in Southern CA area. There seem to be many designers that work at nurseries, or are related to those who own/work at nurseries!:D

I also cannot work for a firm, unless I can do all work at home, as my health issue is made much worse by fluorescent lights and general office conditions (I have a vestibular disorder, amongst other things). It's quite the precarious situation. I think I might need to find some other kind of work in a totally different field, something I can do at home or with very flexible hours that would allow me to work when I'm feeling my best....if anything like that exists!

I feel trapped between a rock and a hard place!

Thanks again everyone! It's nice to have support and hear your ideas, during this difficult time. :)

MT

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!