Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliat_gw

Taxes

juliat
19 years ago

I just went to register for my business license today. Garden design. Tomorrow I'll call the state to find out about taxes. In the meantime, please answer me this. Why was I thinking I would get some tax writeoffs for things I buy to use in the business? The clerk at the licensing office told me I will pay taxes on the furniture, computer, etc that I use in the business.

J.

Comments (6)

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Everything in life and in death is taxed,
    You can't flush without getting taxed.
    Often times the same item has been taxed a couple dozen times before it is discarded, and even then, as it decomposes in a landfill, it is still being taxed.

welcome to the world.

• calliope
    19 years ago

The tax department explained it to me this way when I checked in on taxing my clients: If they're not going to eat it or resell it then you tax it! To make a long story short, the end-user gets to pay tax. In this case, you are the end user.

Your tax write-off is that you can claim the expense (or at least part of it) as necessary for your business and it gets written off your profit at income tax time.

Then you can face issues like property taxes and on major expenses like structures, you may not even be able to amortise them lump sum, but over a period of years. There are no free rides.

• WallFlowers
    19 years ago

Today is the day to get an accountant or a tax attorney. Let me rephrase that...yesterday was the day to get an accountant or a tax attorney.

• miss_rumphius_rules
    19 years ago

Julia--I tried to answer your e-mail and it bounced back. Send me another with your address and I'll copy it over and send it.

Susan

• laag
    19 years ago

When you puchase something as a business without paying sales tax, you either mark it up, resell it, and collect the tax for the gov'ment, or you pay the same percentage tax (called a use tax) on the item yourself. Someone has to pay the tax.

It is expenses that you incur against your income that is "written off". ie, you grossed $250k, but your business expenses including those items you paid sales tax on (and the sales tax) added up to $245k. You pay income tax on that $5k. Writing off means writing it off of your income.

The contents of your office is also known as property. Your computer, desk, ... Can you say "property tax"? This one is a surprise to a lot of people.

• juliat
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This is a second career for me, so I've been taxed on income for 20 years. And don't ask me about real estate taxes and car taxes in Virginia!

But as far as my office items, I paid tax at the time of purchase. I bought my computer last year retail, as my personal computer, and simply also use it now for business. I purchased my desk, bookcase and garden books retail, when I was working on my first, informal design jobs, before I was sure enough that the business would fly, that I went to get my business license.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living