Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millieon

need a landscape arthitect

millieon
18 years ago

We are about to start looking for a landscape arthitect to design several projects to be implemented over 5 years or so.

There would be a swimming pool, top level deck attached to the back of the house, patio, mini golf course, stone wall steps, gazebo, improvement on existing landscape, etc. etc.

How do you find a good landscape arthitect?

What questions should be asked?

How many estimates should be requested?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Millie

Comments (9)

• laag
    18 years ago

Well, if you are starting with the internet you will need to use the right term (landscape architect) and also afix yourself to a location by saying where you are.

However, searching the internet for a landscape architect is not the best way to find one. A landscape architect is a licensed professional in 47 states. They all have had to have a college degree from an accredited landscape architecture program and most had to intern for 2 years as well before they were eligible to take the licensure exam. That is to say that any licensed landscape architect should have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to do your job. It also means that there are not a lot of licensed landscape architects out there.

In most states it is against the law to advertise as or otherwise claim to be a landscape architect without a license. Most yellow pages phone books have a heading for landscape architects where you should be able to look them up in your area. This is an area where many landscape designers skirt the law and list as landscape architects when they are not licensed. When you call, ask if they are licensed landscape architects and what their registration number is.

You can find additional info at www.asla.org. This is the web site for the American Society of Landscape Architects. They will have a "find a landscape architect" search on that site, but not every landscape architect wants to pay close to $500 a year to be a member so don't be discouraged if you don't find one their.

When you find one to talk to, (s)he will have a portfolio and references that will help you determine if they are right for your job.

• millieon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for responding Laag. Looking through various Fairfield County Home magazines we found advertising for eight Landscape Architects but have not been in touch with any of them yet.

Also, there was an excellent article on Understanding Landscape Architecture from Tate & Associates LLC and thatÂs a good start.

Sorry about misspelling "architect" google brought me to ASLA.

Yes, definitely for such a project they would have to be licensed.

Thanks for the tip on the registration number.

Any other suggestions please.

Thanks.

• laag
    18 years ago

I don't understand why you have not yet called one of these since there are eight.

As Glinda the Good Witch said when asked the directions to Oz, "It is best to start at the beginning, then follow the yellow brick road".

• millieon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

As this is not for myself a few more reminders will have to be given to my son to start calling. He did email one of them and will call the others next week, hopefully.

• laag
    18 years ago

Don't email landscape architects because it does not show that you are committed to a project. Lots of people like to make inquiries on the internet who are not serious. I have to tell you that I have never had a viable job prospect contact me initially by email. I have had many people waste my time who have contacted me first by email. I suspect that I am not alone on this.

They typically start talking about having a great project and then they want me to go look at it and come up with ideas before they want to meet with me. Eventually the terms "do it in phases" or "install some of it ourselves", or "very limited budget" pop up. In the end, they have a budget to build the landscape that is smaller than what is needed to design it.

I don't imagine that is the case with you, but if you emailed me to contact me, that is what I would think. Have your son show enough interest in hiring a good designer by taking the time to make a phone call. It will definitely make a difference on the other end.

• millieon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, we have our first appointment on Tuesday and I will still be here as they just got an addition to the family (fifth child).

BTW the cost will be $150.00 for this visit on Tuesday.

• annebert
    18 years ago

If you have the time and interest in helping out your son (seems like you do), I recommend that you start reading through threads on this forum so you have a feel what to expect when you meet with the LA in terms of time frame and cost, and what you get for your money. You can search for words like "estimate" or just scroll through looking for subjects like "is this a reasonable estimate?". It's a fun read.

• laag
    18 years ago

What happened?

• millieon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I'm back in Florida now and yes we had several visits. They all agreed most of the beds need to be revamped. Couple more coming in later on. The one he paid $150 I asked him what do we get for it and he said nothing you pay just for my time. Well he did suggest several good ideas and will call with a quote for the plan in a month or so. It's too late to move plants now so will have to get it done in fall.
    Actually, they all more or less suggested same just have to see how much they will charge for the overall plan.
    Thanks Anne I read some of those posts.
    For this year I will just plant annuals the next time we are up which will be in about three weeks. I really like the idea of putting a 2-3 foot stone wall around the rock garden.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus