Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
old_chap

Glyphosate damage on azalea

old_chap
15 years ago

While trying to eradicate Canada thistle from an azalea (Delaware Valley White) planting it seems as though I have hit a couple of shrubs. The spraying was early summer last year. The new growth this year is stunted (small, compact leaves). Any chance that the plants will recover and is there anything I can do to promote recovery ? Thanks for any help.

Comments (5)

• laag
    15 years ago

The glyphosate is long gone. You just have to sit back and watchthem recover.

• watergal
    15 years ago

Oh, I hate thistle. And I have found that Roundup doesn't do all that much damage to thistles, either! Grrr. Can't help you with the azalea, I agree you just have to wait and see. I suppose you could prune off the new growth if it looks ugly to you.

• nandina
    15 years ago

When a stubborn weed such as Thistle, pokeweed, etc. grows and intertwines with an ornamental try the following. Cut the weed off almost at ground level and put three drops of Clorox on the freshly cut stem. Should solve the problem. Helpful on deeply rooted weeds.

• kkelley
    15 years ago

Interesting. Is there any possibility the stunted growth is from a nutritional deficiency, and not the glysophate?

• henry_kuska
    14 years ago

The following U. California, Davis web page appears to support your original conclusion of glyphosate affects:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7465.html

"Glyphosate damage may appear at bud break the following spring after a summer or fall application that contacts leaves or stems; symptoms include a proliferation of small, narrow shoots and leaves."

The following thread gives the links to scientific studies which I feel supports a model of glyohosate to soil, then release from a bonded state, and take-up by the roots in the spring by the affected plant:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/weeds/msg081647415766.html?24

Here is a link that might be useful: U. C. Davis article