Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to charge for planting window boxes

Posted by jeans_pots ma (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 23:37

I was asked to plant up window boxes, there are 15. Ten are 5'8"long, 4 are 2'long and 1 is 8'4" long. they are all 6"wide and 5 3/4"deep.The 8'4"box has the most sun.I was thinking of using supetunias for greatest impact. They will supply the materials but i will be picking up everything and putting the window boxes together and maintaining tne boxes. I have no idea as to how much to charge, I do a terrific job with my,family and friends boxes and containers but this is business, I'd appreciate any help and ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to charge for planting window boxes

I know of a few professional gardeners that frequent my nursery and they always charge by the hour. This includes time spent traveling for supplies. They charge from $20.00 to $65.00 per hour. If your talented and hard working you can name your price. Most of these ladies started out by putting up an add at a local store listing their abilities and now have more clients than they can handle. Your time is valuable.

o
RE: what to charge for planting window boxes

I provide this service as part of my landscaping business. I've done it different ways, but right now I'm charging $25-$35 an hour (depends on the complexity of the job, where the job is, and truthfully if i get a sense that the client will be difficult i charge more!), plus the materials. I mark the materials up by 20%, which simply brings the materials up from wholesale to resale for me.

Make sure to keep track of your time shopping and driving around! Also, if i'm at home and looking through design books or going online to research something or to get ideas, i keep track of that time as well.

If you want some more ideas, feel free to email me! The container business can be a pretty good one as long as you don't undersell yourself and your services because they're "only" containers and not "real" gardens. A lot of people who live in urban areas don't have yards, and they want people like you to provide container gardens on their patios, balconies and decks. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here