Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tree planting question

Posted by debinca1 zone 7 ca (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 07 at 2:05

Lets say , said person plants 3 out of seven nice trees... in 25 gal pots, THEN notices on the 4th who is resting higher in its pot, that they are potted b/b but well established in the pots. #4 has been tied with that stinking nylon twine (orange no less) instead of jute, and wrapped tightly several times around the trunk, denting into the bark and showing absolutely no signs of decay. Dang it.

Said person cuts and with much difficulty removes the tight stinking orange nylon twine from the 4th tree and will with trees 5,6,7 even though he/she has to dig down into the pot get to it.
Now said person is thinking he/she has to uncover the first 3 trees, burrow under the porky evergreen boughs like a gopher and cut off the twine from their little necks .... right???? ( you may insert your own plumbing words here)

PS for this example , lets say the trees were planted for a neighbor and there is NO WAY this said person wont hear about every brown leaf caused by the orange nylon constricted throats of the beautiful, large and expensive trees. ( more plumbing words )

--

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tree planting question

Right.

o

I feel your pain, & yes, you will hear every intimate detail of how said trees are doing. I had a guy come in today, complaining about some dogwoods that were planted 2 years ago (& I believe, already replaced several times). I had another call in, 1 out of 3 trees planted 3 weeks ago is not doing well. When I asked if she had been watering it, "Uh, no..."

o

OK, I realize that I sounded very disgruntled & disillusioned in the last post-I also had a customer today, who first called, because someone had given him a Japanese maple as a gift & he was having it planted it this week. The first one was in memory of his mom & he wanted to get another, same variety, in honor of his MIL.

He was very chatty on the phone, said the person he talked to yesterday had been very helpful, but even though he'd been calling all week, he hadn't talked to the head of our landscape crew (who'd be doing the planting, but I'm not surprised, this time of the year is crazy, I take messages, but he's usually out all day, doing installations).

I checked to see if we had another of the same variety, but w/out seeing what he already had, 'Crimson Queen', size & shape, suggested that he might want to come in to select it. He asked if I would be there & I said I leave at 3. He came in around 2, limping slightly, w/ his son, we had someone go out with him & find another Crimson Queen, w/ a spiral stem. It was crazy busy while he was checking out & we were scheduling the installation, but these are the kind of customers who want to make you keep working....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here