Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Your Advice on Pay Please

laceyvail 6A, WV
16 years ago

I am about to begin working with a young man who has a brand new landscaping company. He's strong, energetic, a go-getter, has equipment and the state license, but he doesn't know much about plants or the aesthetics of landscaping. That's where I come in. I know plants, have a garden consulting business, write a column for a local paper, and have done a fair amount of design, both for large projects and for individual gardens. My "partner" also expects to do on going plant care.

I'm uncertain how to charge for my part in this project. We will not be in a legal partnership--I have my business and he has his. In the beginning at least, I will have to help him with much more than just the design--i.e. how to receive and hold plants that we mail order rather than buy locally, how to plant properly and prune, how to manage deer spraying and protection, etc.

Payment will be between me and my partner, not between me and the property owner. Do I charge a proportion of the total cost of the project, and if so, how much, or a flat fee?

Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations