Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plug trays for seeds-source

Posted by pietrasa 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 9:35

I am a small grower. Until now I have mostly done vegetable plants in jiffy pellets/pots, or I buy plug trays. I would like to do more growing, but I can't seem to find a source for trays WITH empty plugs. All I see in catalogs is trays WITHOUT plugs. And any plugs I see, like the Oasis wedge and root cubes, say they are for CUTTINGS, not seed-starting. Where can I get trays with plugs for doing my own seeds? Help, please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plug trays for seeds-source

So youre asking for, as an example, a 200 cell tray pre-filled with mix? If that's the case I don't believe you will. You need to buy plug trays and a good seed mix from Sungrow or Pro-mix and make you own. Let me know if I'm not understanding what you're saying.

o

I guess I still don't understand the "make your own". I've taken old plug trays and tried filling them with peat and vermiculite, but it is still a loose mix, not a firm "plug". So, where do the firm "plugs" for seeds come from? Thanks!

o

I don't believe you will. We use Sungrow propagation mix in our propagation trays. We fill the tray then plant the seed. I can't imagine filling a 200 to 500 cell tray with individual plugs. Am I closer to what you're referring to?

o

Pietrasa - where are you located in Michigan? Chances are, you are close to other greenhouses that start their own plugs and have the equipment to fill them. You may be able to purchase filled plug trays from them. I know that you can buy pre-filled plug trays from Blackmore, but I'm sure the minimum quantities would be much more than you need, not to mention the fact that they need to be used right away.

o

Your problem with filling the plug trays might be related to the mix you are using. There are special seed starting mixes which are much finer than the usual growing mixes. We use Premier Pro-Mix PGX with good results.

o

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here