Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rudbeckia goldilocks and becky

Posted by sandy0225 z5 Indiana (sandy02256@yahoo.com) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 10:02

I have some quart potted rudbeckias cultivars goldilocks and becky that are bulked up and in bud. I'm trying to finish them for a garden fair on June 1st and 2nd. The hot weather is cooperating but I'm wondering if I hit them with a bloom boost or starter fertilizer will that help hurry them up with those buds a little bit? I've been using 20-20-20 thinking of hitting them with 8-45-10.
Pros and cons?
Thanks
Sandy@Northern Tropics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rudbeckia goldilocks and becky

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 07 at 17:14

Depends on if they need those nutrients in such high amounts. And maybe the timing of the bloom is being regulated by something other than nutrients.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 07 at 18:58

There are two ways I know of to force Rud's to bloom early, and it may be too late to consider either of them.

One is cooling. BES especially can be forced by mild refrigeration. The plant senses stress and throws blooms in self defense.

The other is accelerating the day-length, by providing more light on a faster pace than Mother Nature is supplying. Rudbeckia's bloom is determined by the amount of light she receives each day. Unfortunately, it's probably too late to do this reliably. You'd need to have started a few weeks ago. If you have a way to provide light an hour earlier and an hour later each day, you might get some of the buds open, and that might help sell them. A few new flowers and a lot of buds is an inviting product. Keep in mind, your customers may be disappointed when they plant them out and have to wait longer than it appears for the rest of the buds to open.

o

If you can find a bloom somewhere, you can use that as your sample, and that will sell the ones in bud . Just a Thought-----------Upnortdareh

o

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll just print out a nice color sign and laminate it of one in bloom and hope for the best.
Hopefully at least one or two of them would be in bloom by then, they are just so close, I wondered if anything would bump them over the edge.
Personally, I don't like to buy flowers like that in bloom anyway because I think they transplant better before they get that far, but most people don't seem to have the imagination that I do for what a plant might look like later on.
Have you noticed it seems like every year people want their plants a little larger, farther along and more finished? (But of course they don't want to pay more! LOL)
Thanks for the help
Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here