Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetpea_path

How to register my website DOMAIN name?

sweetpea_path
18 years ago

Greetings!

I am just about ready to start building my website for my wholesale growing business and I have a question about registering my domain name (my company name). There are so many web sources on the internet for doing this, I'm not sure which one to choose. And I don't know if it even matters. Would you folks please give me your professional opinion on the best way to go about this? Do you recommend a particular internet site for doing this?

Thanks for any tips! Sweetpea

Comments (12)

• deeproots
    18 years ago

I've found 123CheapDomains to work well, and ReadyHosting.com to be good.

They both give us the most bang for our buck.

dp

• mylu
    18 years ago

Register.com among a "host" of others...

• speckuldtrout
    18 years ago

I've used domainguru.net for years and several domains and been happy. He is a reseller for enom, answers your emails promptly (it is run by a real person), and has even helped me set up my forwarding. You want to make sure that the place you pick has domain forwarding and/or masking.

• deeproots
    18 years ago

and if you are really photo oriented, makesure you have the storage space + bandwidth to handle it.

I knew a guy that got RAPED on charges when his website finally got some hits.

My site has gotten 50,000 hits in a week before.... if everyone is viewing a few pictures, it could go badly if not prepared traffic-wise

• Hap_E
    18 years ago

Ditto on what DeepRoots says, bandwidth costs can sneak up on you fast.

I had to move my web-site this spring, because the hits were growing so much that the cost were skyrocketing. If you are web savvy or have a webmaster that is, try GoDaddy.com. But while their support is pretty good it is not geared for those that don't have a decent idea of how things work.

I decided to move to GoDaddy.com because (after shopping around) they were very affordable for the amount of memory and hits you get for your money.

Remember as you add photos memory you need goes through the roof. Just one person that spends an lunch hour looking at my online plant list can burn through a lot of bandwidth. So make sure there are no "crazy up charges" as your traffic grows. Yes, you have to pay for it, but you should not get penalized as your traffic increases, just charged a reasonable amount.

Good luck,

Hap

• Ray Scheel
    18 years ago

I point all my clients to droa.com and suggest buying a long-term registartion (e.g. 5 years).

Also pick up some alternate spellings to "park" on your main domain to catch that traffic and to prevent competitors from trying that dirty trick.

There are some not widely known technical reasons for keeping the part between the "www." and the ".com" to 12 characters or less. And something shorter is easier for visitors to remember *and* to fit on a business card, yet mroe reasons to pick up alternate names for the longer versions of your company name while using a smaller one for the main hosting account.

Not so much for the original poster but anyone running thier own site, there are some tricks to substantially reducing bandwidth of downloaded photos. Always use a low-quality preview photo that is no larger than it appears onthe page and link to a higher quality shot where that's needed if someone wants a closer look. If you can track where most of your traffic is going, those are the paths to check first on tuning picture resolutions. Limiting use of graphic navigation system is also a plus, especailly if you want someone on dialup to be able to navigate your site.

Though I'm a big proponent of using the web as a cheap way to share photos with clients, I also push not forcing them to download lots of graphics unless they really want to see it. A simple but fast and clear site will get a lot more return visits than one that is flashy but too cluttered and impossibly slow to load over dialup.

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    18 years ago

If you find a reliable web service provider they can also register your domain name. I've had tons of bad experience with domain name registry and my best advise is to make sure you renew your name before it expires or some bandit outfit like Dotster.com will grab up the name rights and hold you ranson to get it back. Registring the name should only cost $10-$15 per year but a company that lets you know when it is due to renew is worth a few extra bucks.

• gardenguy_
    18 years ago

godaddy.com is great.

• dspasspass
    13 years ago

Sure, i know one website for register the domain name.... So you can visit the following website and register your domain name at cheap cost.... You can also use the Website Tonight for create your website as you own, website design services for create your website by the website creator, bulk domain transfer and more option...... They provide very good service.......

Here is a link that might be useful: XnYnZ.com

• Alkom
    9 years ago

There are some registrars, which can help you with it. I have some sites and the cheapest registrars I've found at the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: https://hereisdomain.com/

• PRO
    Endora
    9 years ago

Domain registration is not a big deal in this technical era. It has just turned out to be as simple as a member signup into any website. Plenty of registrars are available like https://domainia.com, goDaddy, namecheap and various others to whom you can prefer for registering your own domain. All these providers are equally reliable, hence you don’t need to be bother. Just visit them and choose one who looks more prominent in terms of accessibility and price.

• Sheryl Gallant
    9 years ago

We use CanSpace.ca. Its a Canadian company but used all over North America. Many governments and universities use them for their websites. They are as professional as it gets. Great to work with and reasonably priced too!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor