Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patiomaiden

Finding designer to update 20-year old community landscape

patiomaiden
16 years ago

I'm the Landscaping Committee chairman for my community's homeowner association. Our small community of 44 townhomes was built in 1986 and, in my opinion, is ready for at least a small immediate facelift as well as a totally new master plan that we will incrementally transition towards as current trees/shrubs die off.

Although I am a novice home gardener, I am not expert enough to know what plants to choose that will conform to our desired new landscape (low maintenance, seasonal color, drought resistant). I would like to obtain at least three design ideas from master gardeners (not necessarily tied to local nurseries) to present to our homeowners. Problem is, our Board has spent the minimum for landscaping services over the years and so is less than enthusiastic about spending money for design services, much less multiple design ideas.

The design service needed would be mostly providing suggestions for plant replacements, and very little in the way of structural changes since we're limited in what we can do.

Could someone suggest tips on how to find master gardeners in my area (Alexandria VA) and what I should expect as far as design fees? I'm also wondering if there may be students out there trying to earn their "master gardener" degree who might be eager for a "design project" like ours...how would I go about linking up with them?

Comments (17)

• watergal
    16 years ago

I believe that Master Gardeners are not supposed to use their title professionally nor advertise it. It is not a professional credential.

What you are really looking for is a garden designer or consultant, although a landscape designer could help you too. Of course, they won't want to work for peanuts, which is what it sounds like your Board wants to pay. Try your local yellow pages, or a local community college with a landscape design program which may have students looking for a project.

Who will be removing the old plants and installing the new ones? How big of an area are you working with?

• patiomaiden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our community sits on a 193,519 sq. ft site but the actual "landscaping" area not covered by townhomes or natural woods is about 48,380 sq. feet and much of that is grass. The townhomes are situated in a cul-de-sac formation and a landscaped gazebo area (approx 260 ft x 260 ft) sits in the center of the cul-de-sac. The gazebo and entrance area are the main "focal" points of the community, but we also have the perimeter areas needing some replacement ideas over time as trees/shrubs die.

I haven't progressed to the point of deciding who will be removing and installing new plantings. This will all depend on ultimate pricing. My plan was to first determine the final design out of three proposals and THEN get bids on the approved design. Who we ultimately get to do the work will of course depend on the costs. It may be our current landscapers, who at present do an OK job but not great, or perhaps a new company with a comparable/better bid who we may end up switching over to.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

I suspect that patiomaiden doesn't understand what the Master Gardening program is....they are not degreed professional horticulturists, but serious hobbyists.

Students might be a good way to go, but don't expect volunteer services for this project. If the design was for a school, place of worship, Boy's'/Girl's Club, city park, or other such location, you'd be able to 'beg' for some volunteerism from professional resources. ;-)

I think that you will need to nail down how much your community will pay for the design before you can entice anyone near this project.

• marcinde
    16 years ago

In this area, you're looking at $750-$1000 per design, minimum. I wouldn't do it for less than that.

Dave

• lnscapr
    16 years ago

Creating a design plan and preparing a cost estimate are valuable and time consuming precursors to a successful landscape installation. Why not start by contacting ONE reputable landscape designer (ask for and check references)and arrange to pay him/her for a 1-hour consultation with you or with the committee. You can then talk about the community's goals, ideas, and budget constraints. They should then be able to give you an idea of the cost of developing a plan...possibly one that can be phased in over a number of years. Or, Perhaps it can be designed and installed in small areas at a time.

I have worked with several small communities like this and we have all been very happy. I would suggest checking the website for the Va. Society of Landscape Designers to locate someone qualified in your area: www.vsld.org

• laag
    16 years ago

You might want to look around and see if any other older condo complexes have revamped. Then contact them to see how their experience went. It is best to go with someone who is successfull at this sort of thing and has left satisfaction in his wake (or her).

Here is a 1970's redone two years ago...

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

I just had someone call me to see if they could get a free design for an area outside some condos. They said there was no money to pay for a design and they were hoping to find someone who would do it just to have it in their portfolio. I suggested they try the community college. They replied they had gotten my name there.

If there was no money for a design, what were they going to do with it? Even if they installed it themselves, they would still have to pay for the materials.

I think you should get the board behind you before proceeding. Maybe you'll have to settle for paying for and doing a little sprucing up of the part right outside your unit - if they'll let you. As a group condo owners may tend to not like plants and gardens too much. Doesn't the appeal of them tend to be that you own the unit, as though it were a house but there is no yard work?

• laag
    16 years ago

I've crammed in a lot of affordable housing on small areas, but I can not believe anyone got 44 townhouses on 194,000 SF?

• katycopsey
    16 years ago

Although you have a large project and a professional is probably advisable, I would like to clarify what Master Gardeners are and are not - in addition to the above.

To certify as a MG you need to attend between 40 and 80 hours of education that includes lawns, basic soils, bugs and landscape design etc etc etc. These courses are taught by college professors and Extension educators plus those in the field, albeit we do basic bugs in 6 or so hrs, a hort degree does it in 3 months!. To 'repay' that education they need to volunteer that same number of hours in community service, usually sanctioned projects. The initial hours have to be completed in one year (sometimes two). After that most MGs do stick with favorite projects.

To get MG involvement in your project you would need to either get a specific MG interested or approach the MG association/extention office. A community project such as yours would be valid in most areas - not all.

As to whether they are as good as professionals - some are, some are not. One lady I know went from MG to earning her landscape license and then was on HGTV as a landscape specilist; another wrote the state guide to good plants for that area ie a book, published by a respectable house - so do not equate the title just with 'hobbyist' - some of us are darn good at what we do and these two were very good.

That said, even with a MG doing the design, you still need plants, you will still need plantings removed perhaps, and you will need maintenance - who is going to do that. A face lift can be extensive or simple. So get a few different options on the table and see where to go from there.

I was certified as a MG 10 yrs ago and have transferred that status into 4 different states, so I am aware of area differences. I am now the Horticultural Consultant at a historic garden in GA.

• laag
    16 years ago

I never stopped to think about it, but just realized that the LA curicullum I went through had 9 hours of design studio a week for 96 weeks which is pretty much the norm. Then there were other classes held in studio for 6 hours a week, the other university classes associated with horticulture, design, planning, and core educational requirements.None of these were less than 32 hours each.

• patiomaiden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I appreciate all the helpful comments and insight in response to my query. I visited my local extension office and have a lead on a master gardener who might be willing to come out to discuss our current landscape situation from the plant perspective but who has no design background. Will look into the VSLD suggestion.

Thanks again!

• laurabs
    16 years ago

Patiomaiden: Pardon my jumping in since I one of those hobbyists, but if you want to save money, try to get a design that minimizes grass areas. There are other groundcovers that are much less costly to maintain, and can be just as green or even more colorful. Here's a search site.

Here is a link that might be useful: ground covers

• laag
    16 years ago

I would disagree with the groundcover recommendation when it comes to a community landscape. Mowing crews have fast and efficient equipment and they are already there. Compare that with their ability and cost when it comes to weed control, mulching, and spring/fall cleanups.

The picture that is posted above had additional lawn put in at the eager blessing of the head of maintenance of the condos. One of the major reasons for the redo was because the planting beds became overwhelmed with weeds and invasives. It had already been brushed out with a Gravely mower prior to the pictures.

I think it is also very clear that the added green strip between the pavement and planting has some aesthetic benefit as well. It replaced an area that was once Cotoneaster, but had lots of friends in and amongst it ... a groundcover.

Lawn is the easiest thing for a maintenance crew to handle.

• txjenny
    16 years ago

I'm gonna throw my two cents' in here since I am a former Master Gardener (let my certification lapse because the local group was like a garden club), and as a landscape designer, I've done work with a community group to landscape the entrance to their neighborhood.

All the above posts are correct about the Master Gardener program. Some Master Gardeners are professionals, but the MG certification is a part of their volunteer life. MGs aren't typically trained in design, although some clearly have a talent for it. You'll more likely get advice on plant selection and prepping the site, but you'll still need a design, and for that you should turn to an LD.

Having done a project like what you're needing, I have to say it was probably one of the least pleasant experiences of my professional life, and here's why: there were way too many chiefs and not near enough indians in the community group, there wasn't a clearly defined "go-to" person on the committee, they expected a discount because they were a community group (but not a non-profit), and the day of the installation I had very well-intentioned community members bringing in their leftover lantana or newly dug-up iris bulbs or a fern that was inappropriate for the site...

You get the picture. I learned a lot from that job, even though I had a clearly defined contract with the group as to who was doing what and what it would cost. My advice is to have ONE person from your group and one person only that deals directly with the designer. Figure out what your budget is, don't expect freebies from a professional, organize your volunteer group well, and respect the time of the designer.

Sign your contract promptly and return with the necessary deposit. On the day of installation, please do not allow your community/committee members to try to change the design or throw in extra plants that won't work. Trust the professional advice of your designer.

I learned to be more clearly defined in my work and communications with clients, and to keep boundaries carefully drawn. It can be a great community experience for everyone involved, as long as everyone involved is respectful of boundaries and communicates clearly.

good luck!

• laag
    16 years ago

Condos and HOAs can be very tough for the reasons that txjenny points out. That is why you need to hire a professional that is not wishy-washy and has enough of a presence that makes people follow his/her advice.

A newer designer or hobbyist with some training is generally not going to command that presence. They often are looking for direction than working it out of the group.

I've often hinted at this kind of thing on some of the posts by people looking to change careers by going into landscape design. Design is only one of many skills you need to be effective. No one sees the others until they are faced with them. Getting a group of people to follow in one direction is a skill that comes up way more than any think. Sometimes it is a multiheaded client, but it is also what you need to be able to do to get through permiting, design reviews, and whatever else involves making people clear their brains and follow your train of thought.

It is more than saying something does not belong or an idea does not fit a situation. It is teaching someone why and getting them to understand that it does not. Then it is easy to follow along and you establish your leadership by having others respect your opinion. Once that happens, it is much easier for others to follow rather than challenge.

This is why it is important for HOAs to hire established professionals who have lead other HOAs to success in their landscapes.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    16 years ago

One thing that strikes me from your first sentence is that you need to solidify your goals. "small immediate facelift" and "totally new master plan" are totally different goals. I am guessing that what you really want is a "totally new master plan" where the "small immediate facelift" is phase 1 of the implementation plan??? Something to think about as you present your situation to prospective designers.

Also, you mention that replacement would occur as "current trees/shrubs die off". I am wondering why they would die off. insects? diseases? dehyrdation? starvation? compaction?

Overgrown and outdated is one thing, but death makes me wonder what the maintenance issues are and how to ensure the next crop does better. (My house was built in 1985 and several of the original builder's plants are still around. THe ones that aren't are because one CAN have too many yews. LOL. I have moved remaining plants to better suited locations and they are doing well.) I think woody plants in general should last much longer than 20 years.

Also, I am reading a lot lately about the trend to reduce lawn size for all sorts of eco-friendly reasons. I'm not sure I'm on board and I certainly don't want to start debate here, but you may want to do some of your own research on those issues and form your own opinion. I just did a report on xeriscaping and I found that reduced lawn size certainly provides benefits in resource consumption. However, whether that is a goal or not in your situation is up to you.

• laag
    16 years ago

A good designer is not going to need you to have a course of action figured out. (S)he is going to get you and your HOA on the right track by focusing you with your own goals. If they don't go into that mode at the initial meeting, you need to move on to the next person until you get someone who knows more than plant arranging.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES