Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_rumphius_rules

A Designer's Lament...

When one changes from amateur to pro, one of the hardest lessons to learn is that it isn't your garden. We do our best to create from our own well spring of ideas, install it and fine tune it, and then hand it over to it's proud new owners.

At any rate, earlier in the spring I designed and managed the installation of a front yard. It included a bluestone walk, dry stacked retaining walls, plants and lighting. The owner was a nudge. He specifically didn't want certain plants that he already had and didn't like for whatever reason. Every day I was on site, he came outside and gushed over the design and plantings--as did his wife. Today, I was working on-site on the property next door-a referal from the previous one, so I thought I'd take some pix of the first one. To my complete dismay the owner had interplanted the garden beds w/the very plants he asked me to take out (purple & pink azaleas) as well as red salvias, snap dragons and assorted other annuals--all for sun in a shaded garden. ARGH! He didn't even wait until the plants filled in a bit--just stuck the stuff in willy nilly. Knowing that it is indeed his garden and not mine, I just went back to work on the neighbors property w/my back to the first. Too bad too, it was a beautiful job.

Comments (12)

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I called a recent client to ask to come take some pictures, since the design was just installed. He said sure, and that he had added some things and switched others around. I'll have to go look and see what of my design remains! I worked very hard to have a flow and repitition of form from the front to the back, I hope at least the bed lines are close to what I drew.

Ok, Laag, I'm not a design/install company, so I really don't have much room to gripe, I know.

On the other hand, in the course of contacting clients about coming by to take pictures, I asked a few for letters, since I need them for certification from the VA Designers Society. I got one today- what a boost!

• GreenieBeanie
    18 years ago

Sigh...

That's hard.

I've tried to leave specific spaces for annuals for some of my clients. It's helped a bit. Somehow, with the garden looking so beautiful, after it's been designed and installed, they want to feel a part of things, and sometimes go overboard.

Have a client right now who has a daughter who was never really interested. Now that it's all looking good, she wants to plant things here and there. At least she's checking in with me before putting things in the ground, but I'm starting to run out of room for her "inspirations"!

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    18 years ago

I must be getting hardened in my old age, because when I see an old design gone awry either due to neglect or just poor additional planning it only hurts for a short while and then apathy sets in and I start to not give a sheit.

On days like that I am glad that I drink.... and that new work opportunities abound.

I realise now that along with being a cynic I must also be a fatalist. 'Guess that is what happens when one grows up during the 60's and 70's.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Susan, I can totally sympathize!! Since a good portion of my design business is for DIY'ers, I came to grips with this issue a long time ago - once I turn over a plan to these folks, it's anyone's guess how it will turn out. To be fair, many of my DYI clients follow the plan to the letter, but sometimes there is little, if any, resemblance to the original design.

The most disheartening one was a design I did for a new construction in a very upscale neighborhood - a very visible, large corner lot. This is a very affluent and exclusive waterfront neighborhood (not far from the Bill Gates compound)and I put nearly 18 months of work into what I considered to be a very well-done design. They did everything right, involved me during the initial design phase of the Craftsman style residence, we did modifications to grade and location of various activity areas during the construction process, had me get city approval for removal of inappropriate existing trees and an okay on size and selection of replacements and the DIY landscape they had done for their former home was attractive and well thought-out. They seemed to be very happy with the design, which included a number of pretty expensive and mature plantings. Imagine my surprise when I stopped by after they had completed everything and moved in to find six (6!) corkscrew willows never included on the plan (I won't use these troublesome trees) lining their very dramatic front entry walk - what were they thinking??!!

Needless to say, these types of design "modifications" wreak havoc with establishing a representative portfolio.

• Cady
    18 years ago

I take pictures of my work as soon as I finish a job, because even though it doesn't capture how the garden would look when mature, at least it captures the spirit of the design... There's no guarantee that such spirit will remain constant and permanent.

• laag
    18 years ago

My "favorite" victimization was the addition of (6) six (half a dozed) garden gnomes to a Japanesish rock garden by the homeowners after I finished it.

Talk about an opportunity to use photoshop.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    18 years ago

Laag,
    I'd pay to see that one !

• miss_rumphius_rules
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Now the guy has moved into Mich's category of psycho clients. He called me off the job next door to complain that he no longer liked his yard and wanted me to switch out the 40 odd Hakonechola macra for something else and that his plants weren't as big as his neighbor's plants. I had explained to him from the beginning that we were trying to do a lot with a little and that we would be using smallish plants to save money. The key specimen plants are big--the supporting players are small. He wanted to know where the trellis that he crossed off his copy of the plan and nixed due to expense was and on and on and on. Let's just say it wasn't a low stress day...

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    18 years ago

At that point in the conversation I would interupt and ask him if he was familiar with an actress name Marissa Tormei and the role she had in the movie, 'My Cousin Vinny'.
    Then stamp you right leg up and down and say " And my 'consultation clock is TICKING' ,,, TICK TICK TICK, that will be $ 95 dollars please.

Or if your prefer to be a bit more discreet, you can offer to set up an appointement at your office for a consultation to discuss the new phase of his project.
    Send him your updated Tariff cost sheet with your new 'adjusted for inflation and arsehole rates'.

If he is willing to pay your consultation fee and new costs for phase II of the project then he has a deal for bigger plants.

other wise tell him to put up or shut up.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

The recurring theme here is a deficiency of respect for the designer and the activity. Even at the millionaire level it's just gardening, right, so adding corkscrew willows bought on impulse can do no harm, can it? Although, when you have enough money, there may be little visible concern about indulging fancies in any activity. I know of another local property that has a 1920s French Provincial mansion with a Zen garden leading up to the front door and a Tudor kitchen grafted onto one end. And the contractors hired to build a quite large freestanding garage there were asked to move it over a foot, after it was already partly completed.

Mich's solutions always involve approaches that make it clear a professional whose time is valuable and will be paid for is being dealt with. This is what I think still needs to be worked on, the perception that we're all 'just gardeners'.

• landman41
    18 years ago

Susan

That gets my ire up hearing how this "client" abusing your hard work....yes even though it is his garden. That still has to suck.. espwhen I know how consumate you are with your work.

Doesnt add much to my qualms as a new bie. But rest assured I figure it is part of the arena that I'll have to contend with.

PS Im taking you up on your email offer and will send you a facsimile of soemthing Im doing...for your appraisal.

Thanks
    Neil

• califajoy
    18 years ago

Is it nice to have these experience with clients?
    Money is very hard to make as designer.

I upgrade my design skill, but I still face the same problem with people...

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES