Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morgan_5

Plant ID Signs- Where are they?

morgan_5
18 years ago

Just starting out and looking for the tall (15" or so) Plant Identification Signs (with metal stakes), that display your plant photo and info. I've looked at my local nursery supply places and did a little looking online, with no luck. Any good sources out there? Thanks!!

Comments (13)

• mylu
    18 years ago

John Henry... Get out your wallet....
    Horticopia..make your own..(google it).... get out your wallet.
    Seriously they're out there...
    Cost depends on how many you want.

• morgan_5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you.. the key was knowing the right name to search for.."sign holders" does the trick.

• CaseysMom
    18 years ago

BWI

• mylu
    18 years ago

I love my BWI and my rep. Getting a catalog from them is a different story.

• CaseysMom
    18 years ago

Or getting a catalog with any semblance of accuracy regarding their 'real prices'...

Good products though and the customer service is ok too. Although the rep we have is new & not familiar with this climate. But a nice enough feller nonetheless.

• wbona
    18 years ago

My advice: Make your own. We use Filemaker pro and have designed a number of labels and signs to suit our purposes. Use your digital camera to take the photos, customize the signs with your company logo, print off on high quality paper and laminate them. Your local copy shop can do the lamination. Im sure any inventive mind can come up with a system to stake and display.

Might take a little time on the front end but once you set it up you can print on demand, update your prices, add new varieties..at a fraction of the price of ordering from a supplier.
    Works for us.

• wbona
    18 years ago

My advice: Make your own. We use Filemaker pro and have designed a number of labels and signs to suit our purposes. Use your digital camera to take the photos, customize the signs with your company logo, print off on high quality paper and laminate them. Your local copy shop can do the lamination. Im sure any inventive mind can come up with a system to stake and display.

Might take a little time on the front end but once you set it up you can print on demand, update your prices, add new varieties..at a fraction of the price of ordering from a supplier.
    Works for us.

• hemboy
    18 years ago

Hummert.com big supplier of everything, and website easy to nav. Good listing of signs and holders.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

One thing you'll probably run up against pretty quick buying photos from a supplier is a lack of availibility of photos for many of the plants you stock, as well as some of the photos offered showing the wrong plant. In fact, one company whose products are bought and employed in my region has used a misidentified photo as their sample!

• Latebloomer
    17 years ago

THOUGHT I'D REVIVE THIS POST:
    Isn't there any software available where you can print out a picture with a short write up laminate it and place it in front of the plants you are selling???Please someone tell me there is so I can be making pictures during my downtime.Horti-Printers are too high for my little operation plus I'd like to learn to make my own because my inventory is always changing during selling season.Also I'd like to add I'm not the best at the computer,it needs to be simple.Hope someone can point me in the right direction...
    thanks,
    Latebloomer

• philomena
    17 years ago

I think you can pretty much do that with any type of word processor, like MS Word - you would probably just need to fool with the formating a bit. You can import or copy-n-paste your photo onto a page in Word, then add your text underneath. You can probably do the same thing in Excel, by typing your text into a text box, instead of into one of the cells.

philomena

• jan44
    17 years ago

I'm a small plant seller and make my own signs and print on inkjet, then laminate. Color laser would be better and more water-stable. I also like to photograph my gardens, so have a good supply of perennial photos to use on my market signs. I find it really helps to have a color photo, especially for perennials, which are not always in bloom when ready for sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Signs

• Sherwood Botsford (z3, Alberta)
    7 years ago

Online labels makes labels that are weatherproof. Size ranges from tiny to full 8.5 x 11 sheet.

Standard inkjet printer works, but if you get a printer that has pigment inks instead of dye inks, the signs last longer.

There is a spray sealer that adds more UV resistance.

Mount on corplast.

Make your supports from 2x4. Add 4" spikes, 1 inch in at a spaceing to match the coreplast flutes. (make a jig for this) Cut off the heads.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!