Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID Signs- Where are they?

Posted by morgan_5 z8OR (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 05 at 19:12

Just starting out and looking for the tall (15" or so) Plant Identification Signs (with metal stakes), that display your plant photo and info. I've looked at my local nursery supply places and did a little looking online, with no luck. Any good sources out there? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID Signs- Where are they?

John Henry... Get out your wallet....
Horticopia..make your own..(google it).... get out your wallet.
Seriously they're out there...
Cost depends on how many you want.

o

Thank you.. the key was knowing the right name to search for.."sign holders" does the trick.

o

BWI

o

I love my BWI and my rep. Getting a catalog from them is a different story.

o

Or getting a catalog with any semblance of accuracy regarding their 'real prices'...

Good products though and the customer service is ok too. Although the rep we have is new & not familiar with this climate. But a nice enough feller nonetheless.

o

My advice: Make your own. We use Filemaker pro and have designed a number of labels and signs to suit our purposes. Use your digital camera to take the photos, customize the signs with your company logo, print off on high quality paper and laminate them. Your local copy shop can do the lamination. Im sure any inventive mind can come up with a system to stake and display.

Might take a little time on the front end but once you set it up you can print on demand, update your prices, add new varieties..at a fraction of the price of ordering from a supplier.
Works for us.

o

My advice: Make your own. We use Filemaker pro and have designed a number of labels and signs to suit our purposes. Use your digital camera to take the photos, customize the signs with your company logo, print off on high quality paper and laminate them. Your local copy shop can do the lamination. Im sure any inventive mind can come up with a system to stake and display.

Might take a little time on the front end but once you set it up you can print on demand, update your prices, add new varieties..at a fraction of the price of ordering from a supplier.
Works for us.

o

Hummert.com big supplier of everything, and website easy to nav. Good listing of signs and holders.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 13:12

One thing you'll probably run up against pretty quick buying photos from a supplier is a lack of availibility of photos for many of the plants you stock, as well as some of the photos offered showing the wrong plant. In fact, one company whose products are bought and employed in my region has used a misidentified photo as their sample!

o

THOUGHT I'D REVIVE THIS POST:
Isn't there any software available where you can print out a picture with a short write up laminate it and place it in front of the plants you are selling???Please someone tell me there is so I can be making pictures during my downtime.Horti-Printers are too high for my little operation plus I'd like to learn to make my own because my inventory is always changing during selling season.Also I'd like to add I'm not the best at the computer,it needs to be simple.Hope someone can point me in the right direction...
thanks,
Latebloomer

o

I think you can pretty much do that with any type of word processor, like MS Word - you would probably just need to fool with the formating a bit. You can import or copy-n-paste your photo onto a page in Word, then add your text underneath. You can probably do the same thing in Excel, by typing your text into a text box, instead of into one of the cells.

philomena

o

I'm a small plant seller and make my own signs and print on inkjet, then laminate. Color laser would be better and more water-stable. I also like to photograph my gardens, so have a good supply of perennial photos to use on my market signs. I find it really helps to have a color photo, especially for perennials, which are not always in bloom when ready for sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Signs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here