Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polydactyly

Future Horticulture/Botony Student seeks guidance

polydactyly
14 years ago

Hello All,

I am about to start school in the fall to obtain a BS in Biology. Past that I don't really know what I should be doing as far as education. Can anyone tell me what it is they do and how that differs from the path they started down. I would like to be a phytopathologist or work in the more scientific areas of the field, but I am open to new ideas and would appreciate any advice someone with experience could give.

Thanks in Advance!

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

I would think that your course adviser would be the one to steer you in the right direction, considering your career goals. Where are you going to be going to school?

14 years ago

I would think that your course adviser would be the one to steer you in the right direction, considering your career goals. Where are you going to be going to school?

I'm a bit confused that you emphasize Horticulture and Botany in your subject line, yet are going for a degree in biology. Yet are interested in a career in plant pathology. ;-)

• polydactyly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

I am unsure of what route to take to achieve the goal I want. The adviser I spoke to (Austin Community College) said that I would need to obtain a BS in Biology to continue my education at a university and gain a degree in Botany. Of course the adviser wasn't the most knowledgeable in horticulture information. If there is a different path I should take to become a Phytopathologist, any advice is welcome.

Thanks Again!

Billie

14 years ago

I don't think that a biology OR a botany major will take you where you want. Have you looked at Texas A&M, for example, to see what kinds of programs they offer? Familiarize yourself with the programs at other institutions, too.

If you are attending Austin CC at the present time, I'd take as many of the plant science courses as I could, along with the other requisites for your Associates in Biology. Then, when you transfer to a university with choice of several plant science majors, you'll be in good shape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check this out!

• cody_mi
    14 years ago

why would you have to have a degree in biology to get one in botany? you could get your degree in biology at the community college, it'll for sure be cheaper than a university. you'll also have to make sure all of the credits will trasfer, although you should do that no matter what path you decide. also you might want to find out what the degree in biology entails. i was going to school for a bs in biology and an associates in horiticulture until i found out that at my school biology is pre med and the major actually wanted was enviromental science. you could consider just getting your gen eds out of the way at the comm college before declaring a major. and realistically plan on changing your major at least once in your college career.

• calliope
    14 years ago

Good advice. Browse some of the degree programs at major universities. You'll find plant pathology listed as a specific choice in some of them. Pick up a phone and call that university, or email, or write them and tell them you will be transferring in from a college where it's not offered and they'll usually be thrilled to tell you what coursework is needed. It's not too soon to start deciding what university you would be attending to finish off your degree(s). The courses will all be generally similar but when you are forking out the $$$$ and trying to make the best use of your time working toward a degree, the last thing you need to do is take courses you'll find won't fulfill degree requirements.

The more specific your career goals, the less likely you are to find those courses in a community college. However, you will find counselors who will 'help' you fill in your schedule to round it out to full-time when you might be better served taking a specific one through distance learning. I've transferred in and out of five different colleges/universities through the years, and there is nothing so frustrating as having one tell you previous coursework has to be used to fulfill electives and then make you repeat a similar one in a different department.

• rachel_z6
    14 years ago

I agree with calliope. Look at what Uni you might want to go to and consult with them about what kind of coursework they want to see from you at community college. Nothing wrong with a degree in Biology! but yeah, you will get more info from the university about whether you're on the right course for what you want to make your living doing.

Sponsored