Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Row Spacing in tree farm

Posted by sherwood_botsford 3a (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 08 at 23:58

I've been growing my trees in containers so far. When I started a pickup load of pots I could manage. A bobcat and a tree spade were out of my budget.

I've had three nurserys tell me that I should put my extra land to work growing field trees. One nursery plants their trees 7 feet on centre, 9 feet between rows. He admits that if you don't harvest a double row, it can be a hassle.

Another one has them in double rows 7 feet apart, and puts 16' aisles between the double rows. I'm inclined to go this way, as most of the time I hope to sell to people who will lift their own trees, and this way they can choose.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Row Spacing in tree farm

I have never been around a place where people dig their own and usually the row width is for mowing the grass or plowing the soil. It depends how large you are going to grow and sell them at depends on the spacing. For allowing people to dig their own I would allow more on center. If you are going to dig 7 feet will be okay depending on the variety and allow more room for shade trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o
RE: Row Spacing in tree farm

In my county we have a large nursery industry that includes 6000 acres of field planted trees. Farmers won't rent land to nursery companies because when they harvest 1000-2000 or more trees per acre each one with a 2ft root ball they deplete the topsoil leaving the land worthless for farming. Keep that in mind if you plan to grow field planted trees. Space as wide as possible or plan ahead for a harvest date if you plant closer. I can show you acres of worthless trees where the trees grew into one another...Pot in a Pot is the way to go... Bob
Bridgeton NJ.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here