Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debinca1

I need a better measuring device

debinca1
18 years ago

Customer had me out to deliver her Rhodies and 'help decide where to plant them'.

It would have have been fine except that she failed to mention that they just had the back re-graded, retaining walls and irrigation installed. ( how do you forget to mention that?) She had her son helping plant and figured I could just 'look around and give them a plant list' and a sketch so they could finish the job.

The grading and instalation were beautiful........ beautiful but bare. The only measuring device I had is the 16 ft tape I carry in my briefcase, my 14 yr old holds the other end :-0.

What kind or device do you all reccomend??? My DH uses a laser indoors but its not accurate outdoors. Is there a small wheel measure that's accurate enough for concept drawings?

I have been laying out beds for customers for a couple of years and I am taking landscape design in the fall. Until now the measuring tapes have been fine.... but I think I better move onto something better.

BTW I did do a sketch, with ideas on areas, sun perennials here, shade areas there, rose beds here, vegie garden here, and specifically marked spots for the 3 rhodies. They are good DIY people and just needed a walk through but I suspect I'll be called back.

Thanks. Deb

Comments (7)