Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mowing height dilemna (Lawn Service)

Posted by OrganicOmar IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 2:59

Hello,
This is my first post and my first time visiting any garden forum. I am interested in possibly starting a lawn care service. I'm researching various things. Among them is grass height. I keep mine at 3" and would like to be fully organic. But wonder if customers will object to that because I'd probably be visiting them once a week for cutting and mine gets pretty high towards the end of the week. If it gets any amount of foot traffic it really shows too. Being in Chicago I'd probably be working with mainly Ryegrass and Bluegrass. What do you guys suggest for my little dilemna here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mowing height dilemna (Lawn Service)

Cutting height is based on the kind of grass in the lawn.

o
RE: Mowing height dilemna (Lawn Service)

And the frequency of mowing can be somewhat controlled by the fertilization routine. And the time of year really dictates rate of growth.

But remember, cutting needs to be done on a regular basis no matter how high you set the blades. Once a week is a good routine, if you can talk your clients into it. Twice a month and you'll be taking off too much at any one cute, no matter how high the grass is. That is very stressful for the plant. That's a tough sell to the typical lawn service client.

There is a direct corrolation between the length of the blade and the growth of the roots. Healthier, deeper, and stronger root systems means healthier grass requiring less water and fertilizer.

I'd encourage you to try to sell annual contracts where the customers pay an AVERAGE fee every month, whether you show up once a week or once a month, or as needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here