Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting my own business

Posted by watergal z6/7 Westminster, MD (sjohnson13@aol.com) on
Fri, Jun 29, 07 at 7:44

Thanks to the advice here, or perhaps in spite of it, I'm starting my own plant services and sales business! I'm excited and a bit terrified.

I've found the information here about pricing, contracts, clients, etc. to be very helpful. Laag especially has been an inspiration (as well as a reality check).

I don't know if I'm allowed to post my web site - I don't want to be accused of advertising, even though my clients will be limited to the Carroll County, MD area. (But if anyone is interested, email me at perfectplantsgro@aol.com.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting my own business

I think you have a good chance of making this work for you, and congratulations.

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 29, 07 at 21:08

Congratulations!

There is a big difference from dropping a corporate job to start a business that looks like it will be fun and starting to work for yourself in a situation where you have familiarity, some networking in place, and experience.

You'll be fine.

o

Exactly, that's what I was thinking. She's paid her dues and approached it with her ducks in a row and realistic expectations.

I love to encourage people in this business. I've been in it over two decades, most of which as an owner. In that length of time, however, I have seen nearly a dozen local green businesses sprout up and collapse. Usually in a two year time frame. There are no short cuts, and as "fun" as it might sound, it isn't very much fun to lay out all of your capital and then some and watch it go down a rat hole.

It really, really helps to see it from the inside out before you ever make the decision to invest in it. My first job in the industry I took a 75% pay cut, and considered it tuition. There is no substitute for experience in a real life setting. I kept my mouth shut, and my ears open and when it got to the point I knew I could do it better than it was being done, that was the clue to get out on my own and do it.

o

Thanks for the support and encouragement! I think I landed my first job at a cookout yesterday!

o

Congratulations, Watergal, I think you're as prepared as anyone to make a go of it. You were smart to work for someone else first & do your learning on their dime, not that it won't be hard, but it will definitely be worth it!

Let us know how it's going, & Good Luck!...

o

Congratulations on your new business. If you would like to sell prepackaged landscape designs on your sales route, please email me. I'm looking for sales people or distributors within the US. Thanks,

o

• Posted by cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 9:04

That's great, Watergal. Good luck, and keep us updated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here