Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Legal cuttings that I can sell?

Posted by bnentrup IN (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 10:39

I have a general educational type question here: What cuttings can I legally sell? My marketplace will be small, but that does not matter to me in that I want to be respectful and legal.

What I mean is, if I cut from plants that I start myself from seed- I assume that I am 'legal'. Is this always true? Also, if I cut from mature plants that I have purchased- and propagate for profit by cuttings, I assume this is illegal/or worthy of potential lawsuit if ever discovered.

Again, I know my marketplace is small, but I want to be honest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Legal cuttings that I can sell?

You can legally take cuttings from anything you grow from seed. The issues come when you are taking cuttings from mature plants - one, that they are your own or you've received permission; two, they are not patented plants and three, you know the correct botanical and cultivar name.

The key to the propagating of mature plants is that they are not patented. Patented plants CANNOT be propagated (other than by seed) without permission and licensing by the patent holder or his rep. And a good many patented plants are sterile or will not come true from seeds so that's a very poor option :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here