Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pond with real fish

Posted by kimie MT (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 11:24

I am landscaping the front part of our house in plants, gravel and a pond with a fountain. I am putting rocks around the plants and pond. Its looking good! If I put feeder fish in it how do I keep the water fairly clean with out killing the fish. If it is out side you cannot put sucker fish in there to suck up the algae water would be to cold. This is a pond with a rubber type liner can I put fish in there? is this a question that you can answer? Thank you, Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pond with real fish

hiya - not sure what zone you're in but my dad lives in zone 5/6 in RI and has a koi & goldfish pond that he built about the size of a wimming pool. This is his hobby so he spends alot of time on it. Here are a few tips. Start small & experiment before pouring in alot of money. See what works & what doesn't work in your area. His fish survive the winter months of New England b/c they hibernated underneath the leaves & frozen ice on top. He lets the leaves fall into his pond in the fall & this protects the fish. Don' t worry about the food b/c it breaks down from the leaves & algae. The ice thaws in the spring and he cleans out the leaves. He also puts in water lilies in buckets with rocks to weight them down. This also helps neutralizes the water. The part that needs maintaining is a good filter. He used an old bathtub at one end of the pond that's slightly lower than the top of the pond so the water runs off into it. He put a PUV pipe to go back to a stone waterfall. There is a pump in the bathtub too. This is constantly running. Also expect to lose alot of water due to evaporation in the spring/summer/fall months and overflows from the rain & storms. Go to a fish store & ask questions & the owner may also know of people in your area who have ponds. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here