Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seniorballoon

Seed collecting on foreign countries.

SeniorBalloon
18 years ago

Have any of you done any seed collecting in foriegn countries? I am looking at planning a trip to New Zealand for my 50th birthday and would like to collect some seeds, bring them home and grow them.

I know you have to go through an inspection at customs and get a phytosanitary stamp before you leave the country with the seeds, but who or what dept do I contact to get permission/permits?

Thanks,

jb

Comments (6)

• buckeye15
    18 years ago

Here you go jb:

Plants and Seeds
    Some plants, cuttings, seeds that are capable of propagation, unprocessed plant products, and certain endangered species are allowed into the United States but require import permits; some are prohibited entirely. Threatened or endangered species that are permitted must have export permits from the country of origin.

Every single plant or plant product including handicraft items made with straw, must be declared to the CBP officer and must be presented for CBP inspection, no matter how free of pests it appears to be. For information write to USDA-APHIS-PPQ, 4700 River Road, Riverdale, MD 20737; call 301.734.8645; or visit the APHIS web site at www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/ ( APHIS Travel ) .

Also someone at your State dept. of Ag. may be able to help you make sense of the regulations as well. Seeds aren't as difficult as live plants, but the regulations can be tricky, and will vary depending on the species. Bring me back something good!

• softmentor
    18 years ago

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you for asking. Most folks have no idea how much dammage has been done by just bringing things in. Last year I had someone offer cuttings to me and rave about how they brought them from Itally (where there are known quarinteend citrus). He was so offended when I refused. (sigh)
    Thank you for checking them through properly.

Arthur the Date Palm Guy

• catkim
    18 years ago

I have heard that it's easier to mail your seeds home than carry them with you. This advice was pertaining to travel from Central and South America to the US, but it might make life simpler for you in New Zealand also. Certain fern and cycad items are prohibited from export from New Zealand entirely, so check the regulations. I know a guy who was taking a bunch of plants from Florida to Panama; even though he had secured permits in advance, everything was confiscated and cremated upon arrival!

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I took a quick look at the aphis site. Looks like an excellent resource. I hadn't thought of contacting our ag dept. Will let you know what they say.

I only want to do this on the up and up. It's not worth the time and hassle to try and get around the law.

Thanks for the info.

jb

• superphosphate
    18 years ago

I was thinking of this, thanks.

There is no viable seed of so many beautiful conifers for example. Though the seed vendors are willing to sell you dead seed.

Abies pinsapo, Abies cilicica, Cedrus libani stenocoma.

There is no seed of Picea alcoqiana ( aka P. bicolor) for sale.

• SeniorBalloon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just an update. I contacted the Washington State Ag Dept and they have given me contact info for New Zealand. I just sent them an inqiry, will be interesting to see what comes of that.

jb

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus