Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a Shade cast equation?

Posted by Michigoose Z6OH (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 05 at 14:02

I am sort of reluctant to post this here, as I realize that I am asking for advice from professionals...and the ultimate answer would be "hire a designer to do it for you," however, at present, this is out of my budget, and for the most part I enjoy designing my own landscape plans....however....

I have a pool on the south side of my property....which is 3/4 of an acre, so I have plenty of room to play...but in picking out my trees, I want to make sure that mature tree height/placement doesn't cause problems with the sun on the pool.

I asked this in the landscape forum and haven't really gotten an answer (the shortest shadow is cast at mid day doesn't really help).

I was wondering, is there a formula for determining the length of shadow and how the shad will be cast at different times of year? I've looked in my several volumes on landscape design, and it doesn't seem to cover this aspect, and I was hoping you could help. I know I could try to rig up a pole of the same length, but 15 - 20 is more than I could handle easily I think....and the question is also where would I get a 20 foot pole? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a Shade cast equation?

I remember studying about how to determine a tree's height, given the sun's angle and the length of shadow it casts. I did a quick google and you should be able to figure it out with a little algebra and ratio and proportion.

"One of the simplest ways to measure a tree's height requires a sunny day. Pound a stick or dowel into the ground. Measure the length of the stick above the ground, then measure its shadow. (For example, the stick might be 3 feet tall; its shadow might be 2 feet long.) Now you know that a 3-foot stick casts a 2-foot shadow. Measure the shadow cast by the tree. If the tree's shadow is 10 feet long, you can use a little algebra to figure out the height of the tree: If 2/3 = 10/x, then 2x =10 X 3 or 2x = 30, so x = 15; the tree is approximately 15 feet high."

Of course the angle of the sun above the horizon will vary depending on season, and your latitude. Pick a sunny day, do it at the hours you do not want the shadow to hit your pool area. Use a yardstick and find out the ratio of shadow to a known height at those times. If you want to plant a tree about 22 feet in height, and the ratio of shadow to yardstick height is 2:3 then your tree would throw a 15 foot shadow. This shall be different at different times in the year, of course since the sun is most overhead not only mid-day, but in summer. So, plan ahead and do it in fall or spring X number of weeks away from the equinox. It should be about the same deviating one way or the other. It's very ballparky and yes there are charts with exact information in them, but it can give you a rough idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here