Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

Is there a Shade cast equation?

michigoose
18 years ago

I am sort of reluctant to post this here, as I realize that I am asking for advice from professionals...and the ultimate answer would be "hire a designer to do it for you," however, at present, this is out of my budget, and for the most part I enjoy designing my own landscape plans....however....

I have a pool on the south side of my property....which is 3/4 of an acre, so I have plenty of room to play...but in picking out my trees, I want to make sure that mature tree height/placement doesn't cause problems with the sun on the pool.

I asked this in the landscape forum and haven't really gotten an answer (the shortest shadow is cast at mid day doesn't really help).

I was wondering, is there a formula for determining the length of shadow and how the shad will be cast at different times of year? I've looked in my several volumes on landscape design, and it doesn't seem to cover this aspect, and I was hoping you could help. I know I could try to rig up a pole of the same length, but 15 - 20 is more than I could handle easily I think....and the question is also where would I get a 20 foot pole? Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)

Sponsored