Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
entm

Thinking of a career change - Am I crazy?

entm
18 years ago

All I can think about is how to get out of this office job. By most standards I have a good job; 401k, lots of vacation time, benefits, but if this is such a good job, why do I hate it so much?

I feel alive when I'm outside working on my next project. I've poured gallons of sweat into fixing up my own landscape. I've researched plants and grasses to see what works and what doesn't in my area. I should be putting in a dry creek and some retaining walls in the next couple of years.

Am I crazy to want to be my own boss and work for myself? I work for the state. The idea of bathing daily in mediocrity and bureaucratic inefficiency for the next 28 years appears less appealing by the day.

If I am patient, I should be able to have a truck, mowers, blowers, trailer, license, insurance, etc. all ready to go in 3 years or so. I don't think I can be ready much sooner without going into more debt than I can stand. Am I crazy to want more than mediocrity from a job?

Comments (8)

• deeproots
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If I was you I'd quit my job and work for a landscaper for 2-3years while you save money.

mind you don't ever mention your intentions.

you'll gain alot of experience and a good idea of what commercial landscaping is all about.
    this goes under the 'best to learn and make mistakes on someone elses dime" catagory in life studies.

dp

• digital_photo_bug
    18 years ago

Um, no you're not crazy...

But did you read the recent thread "Did anyone really think it was going to be easy ?"

I'm not trying to imply that you think it would be easy, but running your own business isn't without "bathing daily in mediocrity and bureaucratic inefficiency". I can personally guarantee longer hours, less pay, harder work, and fewer benefits to name a few, at least for the first few years.

Of course, the rewards are like nothing you're likely to experience working for a state government. Just to name a few...longer hours, less pay, harder work. But it does mean a lot more when it has your name on it.

I did spend five years working in different areas of the industry, everything from farms to markets, to landscaping and nurseries. I knew exactly what I was getting into. Working inside an industry isn't like puttering about in the garden at all. Its a different world.

• bruceNH
    18 years ago

Your crazy. Trust me, your crazy.

All of us here, in the Pro Gardener Forum, are crazy.

If you can regain what you loose in your career, if this question of uncertain is not answered, you probably owe it to yourself to find out, how crazy you really are.

Does that make sense?

Thats crazy!,
    Bruce

• Cady
    18 years ago

Entm,
    I'm in a job that sounds like yours, but have been transitioning gradually into the landscape-green industry. I started a couple years ago by moonlighting as a garden designer and installer, and kept my focus on the niche of small gardens. This year I reduced my office job hours and now work Fridays as an estate gardener for an upscale garden maintenance service that is part of a landscape architecture firm. On Saturdays I work the wholesale yard of a large retail and re-wholesale garden center-nursery.

I'm basically getting my feet wet in a bunch of different areas of the field and learning lots as I get hands-on experience. I was an "ag" and urban hort major as an undergrad, but got a grad degree in communications and got swept into a job that was far removed from my earthy roots. Now I'm making up for it by working my way back to them.

The key is, if you're young you can make a total jump from your old job to a new career and weather the sacrifices. I take it you're under 40. But once you have a mortgage, spouse or partner, kids, all that, there is much less flexibility. I'm holding on to a secure salary (though reduced), health and pension benefits while I sidle into a new career. Once I have established myself relatively securely, I'll sever the rope to the old support unit.

You have the choice to use either strategy. But think it through and weigh the plusses and minuses of both.

• mylu
    18 years ago

Cady,
    Man that hurts.
    "corporate dropouts for the great outdoors"
    Some of us were born in the wrong situation and had to find our way back. Sware!

How did I ever get stuck in both?

• vouts
    18 years ago

You know...Laag is SO right.

And yes you are, like the rest of us here, crazy....it's what keeps the world we live in interesting ;)

I've previously worked in universities, government labs and a small dynamic scientific instrument firm. I enjoy what I do now many times more over than ever before. I've also never been this poor since I was a student.

If you never try, you'll never know.............

• User
    8 years ago

No offense but it's people like you that give landscapers a bad name. Nevermind the people that go to school to study the environment, carpentry, masonry etc. Yeah sure, just get a truck and some equipment and do the same bad work as everyone else. This is why I left the industry. Anyone can do it.

Sponsored