Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

Sell plants, then have to provide advice all year?

wordwiz
13 years ago

I'm not a greenhouse or nursery, but I usually grow and sell a couple hundred tomato plants each year. So today I get a call, eight weeks after I sold the plants, from a lady who wants to know why her tomato plant isn't growing good. Keep in mind, we have had one of the wettest Junes on record.

Her problem is the plant is developing small "warts" on the stems, something normal for tomato plants.

I asked if the plant is in a container or the ground. A container - a Topsy-turvy. And the plant is a Red Delicious, a large indeterminate plant. Jeez, Louise, what does she expect?

The toms that have formed and started to ripen have BER (surprise!). I suggested adding calcium in the form of Cal-Mag but told her it is not fast acting. She is using Miracle-Grow and all the labels I have read do not list Calcium as one of the ingredients.

Gotta love the job some companies do in marketing products: all you need is a topsy-turvy container and Miracle Grow plus a bushel basket to hold all the tomatoes you will grow!

Mike

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County