Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bare-rooting plants?

Posted by ellieengland 92116 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 17:24

Hey guys!

I have a small "nursery" and I am in trade with someone who has requested that I bare-root plants prior to shipping. I think I can do that with cuttings but I am not so sure about established plants.

The plants in question are Lapageria rosea, Deppea splendens, Worsleya procera, Griffinia hyacinthina, and so forth. The lapagerias are somewhat touchy about their roots so I dunno if I can do that. The other plant is in the coffee family and is not too senstive but not super hardy either. Does anyone think this is do-able for these kinds of plants? They do not "go dormant", BTW. I am not sure about the Griffinia but the others don't go totally dormant - the first two grow actively all year.

Any imput is appreciated!

Sincerely,
Ellie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bare-rooting plants?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 17:59

Yes, tolerances vary with the kind of plant. Sounds like you already suspect at least a few of these will not take it very well, should probably not try it with those.

o

Thanks, bboy - I appreciate it. I know one guy in Chile who bareroots Lapagerias. I just dont see how is all... I guess I'm not comfortable doing it to that plant.

-ellie

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 18:57

I'd suggest experimenting with the process. If you're raising these plants for commerce, it's in your best interests to possibly sacrifice some for the purpose of learning what your limits are with them. Call it a cost of business, and see if they can take it. Duplicate the shipping process by barerooting a couple of plants, packing them up in some sort of media and packing material, and staging them to imitate various shipping times. Then unpack them, pot them up and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here