Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Unhappy client - how far do you go?

Carrie B
18 years ago

Recently, I did my first two high rise balcony clients. One of the two were very displeased with my work. It is basically (and probably) a one-time job. Two large 24" planters to plant for the season, the client will be responsible for maintenance/watering.

They believed the plants to be inferior, and the planting to be scant. I am returning, at no charge, to replant the planters. One of the complaints is that the plants are dying, and that I should guarantee all plants. I think that they were probably not adequately watered, as they were healthy at planting.

Do you guarantee plants when you are not doing the maintenance? How do you handle going back on a fix-what-the-client-didn't-like visit?

I found out that the client is fairly powerful & well-connected in my city, so I certainly don't want my name smeared about.

Comments (11)

• miss_rumphius_rules
    18 years ago

It depends on the circumstances. I spent several hours this weekend with a helper, replacing 3 dozen Hakonechola macra for other deer resistant shade tolerant perennials for a client. This client had already refered me to his neighbor. He talks to everyone and anyone and doesn't listen. I bit my tongue, pulled out the grasses and put in substitutions. On my invoice which was a big fat zero, I explained that this was the end of my commitment to this section of his yard and that it needed to be weeded and mulched in addition to my work. Did I loose money on the job, no. Did I loose money on the grasses, yes. Was it worth the hassle and suck up? We'll see. His neigbor loves his garden.

If you think this job may lead to many more with a satisfied client, do it. If not, don't. It's your call. I don't guarantee plants. If a shrub or tree dies, not long after planting, I replace it, but the smaller plants are too susceptible to losses by owner neglect!

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    18 years ago

Q.- Do you guarantee plants when you are not doing the maintenance?
    A. - NO

Q.- How do you handle going back on a fix-what-the-client-didn't-like visit?
    A.- Like it or not we are in a service oriented business . If you want to stay in buisness you must offer excellent customer service.

In this instance a return visit to inspect the plants is required.
    During this visit you will be able to explain your warranty policy, although it sounds like you don't have one so you better get your tail cracking and develop one.
    ( you should have your policy plainly written on your contract or at the very least on your billing invoice... Live and Learn and be prepared for the next job)

One thing that I have learnt over the years in container gardening for clients is that they want immediate gratification.
    They don't want to wait for a few petunias to grow into the pot over the summer, they want the pots to be GORGEOUS NOW Dammit !

Also, I have witnessed over the years that new gardeners haven't learnt this phenonenom and plant the pots scantily , knowing that in several months the pots will be filled ( if maintained well ) .
    This is horticulturally responisible on the newbie gardeners end but it does not cut the cheeze for Mrs. Trump .

So when you do your pots, cram them full to the brim like you are doing an exhibition garden display.
    It makes you look good,
    It makes the client happy.
    It ensures you job security because by the end of the season that pot is going to be so root bound that the next big seasonal display is ready to be planted.
    As a gardener you will also be making more money as well. More plant = more mark up = greater profit margin.

So go to your clients penthouse, bring a cart full of plants and cram them in like it was your container debut at the Chelsea Flower show AND bring your printed waranty sheet .

Word of mouth is going to be your best ongoing job referral.

Plant warranty

If there is a problem , call or e-mail me to describe the plant problem.
    If I canÂt assist you by phone or e-mail then I will come to the site to diagnose the problem.

If upon inspection I find that it is a plant problem originating from the nursery or a transplanting problem I will replace the plant for you and have it replanted at our expense.
    If I determine it is a plant care problem I will tell you what went wrong and how to prevent it in the future. If you choose to have the plant replaced you will be billed for the time that it takes to go to the nursery, purchase the plant, have it delivered and the planting labor.

• GreenieBeanie
    18 years ago

Mich's advice on this is impeccable, as usual.

The only thing I would add is to photo document the job right after you finish. Just in case, you have proof of how things looked before the client neglected to water.

We do not guarantee anything for which we do not install a new, automatic irrigation system.

• dabprop
    18 years ago

Carrie B I also agree with Mich.Excellent customer service is key.Do what you think acheives that end with in reason.

I also would take a pict too for later reference.

Jackie

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    18 years ago

The photo -documenting idea is excellent.

thanks greenbeanie.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all! Your advice is excellent, and I've started using it.

MissRR, the client could very well lead to others. At the very least, the newly installed (redone this morning) will prevent further badmouthing (someone affiliated with this project called my day-garden-center-job to complain about my work!)

Mich, you rock! I developed a warranty policy, basically using your draft, and put in on the invoice for redoing the planters (a big fat zero). I also crammed the planter so full I don't think I could stick a plant plug in if I tried.

GreenieBeanie (and dabprop & mich) I took photos!

Thank you again so much. This forum has been a godsend.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    18 years ago

For the horticultural voyeur in us all, we wanna see them thar pictures !

• mylu
    18 years ago

Mich:
    You show us yours and we'll show you ours!
    (Did I say that out loud?)
    Kudos on the advice.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    18 years ago

Most recent container planting : see link.

Your turn Mylu.
    and the rest ???

we are waiting.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bonsai_audge
    18 years ago

Humbly submitted for your approval, to the divas/divos of design who frequent these forums.

Recent pictures of a cast iron urn (from a set of two) planted on May 7, 2005, out of situ to catch some rain from recent storms.

Picture taken on May 10th, 3 days after planting (in its proper place):

-Audric

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    18 years ago

Now that's a well crafted beautiful composition.

You're hired Audric.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths