Return to the Professional Gardener Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a small, dense shade tree or large shrub

Posted by cindythegardener 6 (cynthiacali@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 20:20

I have been planting, pruning and maintaining a property for years. At the front of the house, there is a corner that is dense shade. It is the corner of a garage that juts out before the and the other side is the front of the house. There is maybe 15' x 20' of dense shade that takes up a corner, and of course there is a gutter coming down in this corner. Over the years hollies were once planted and died. Then I planted Rhodies. The ones that grow past this densely shaded area are thriving and blooming. The ones in the dense shade have died.

I am at a standstill with the owner. She wants a tree to hide the gutter, then suggested yews... UGH... no way! I need help. I love to plant shade gardens, and I have no problem with the plants (which are ready to go in after I get this problem solved). Does anyone have an idea of a small tree that can go in this corner?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a small, dense shade tree or large shrub

Would Kerria japonica, Hydrangea quercifolia or Viburnum plicatum work?

o
RE: Need a small, dense shade tree or large shrub

I can try. The woman is tough. Wants a small tree (that doesn't get big... of course... haha) to immediately cover the gutter. This is not your normal house either. It is huge. I will try and run off pictures of the shrubs you mentioned along with my suggestions. I am suggesting a Weeping Hemlock, although that will require pruning quite a bit, and I am trying to stay away from that. Sigh... I am such a standstill. Thank you for your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Professional Gardener Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here