Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katycopsey

boxwoods & phytophthora

katycopsey
16 years ago

As of last week I have been hired to look after and sort out the landscape at a 'new' historic home. We are putting the landscape back to around 1850 or so. In doing so we have moved a bunch of old boxwoods. Between droughts and organizational problems, we have some going red. Tests show that at least one has phytophthora/root rot. What I really need to know though is what are the ramifications of this. It is a soil virus and needs wet conditions but if one plant has it do we have to ditch the whole line??? If we correct the problem drainage can we treat the uninfected roots so that they survive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kate

Comments (6)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Actually it's a water mold, related to brown algae. Common on box and on other plants. One kind causes sudden oak death. Think I've read this one may transported by rain, otherwise infestations are conventionally associated with avoidable conditions of wetness, such as puddling, impeded drainage and splashing water. Once a plant is infested you may not be able to clean it up, but there has been at least one product available that is supposed to contain an existing infestation.

• katycopsey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There is one product called Alietta by Bayer Chemicals. Hopefully the other sample will be clear (the roots were white not brown). I think Monday will be spent inspecting roots of all the boxwoods to see which are having problems and which are currently clear. Then decide how to proceed. I get to chat with the irrigation guy Tuesday and when that goes in we might well be in for another round of drowned roots from leaky connections!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Subdue was being used on rhododendrons in a park near here some years ago.

• sam_md
    16 years ago

The way I read your post, the problem didn't occur until after the plants were moved, perhaps triggered by the stress. My experience with phytophthora has been such that by the time dieback showed up in the top, the roots were brown. I had this happen in other species, not boxwood.
    When you say 'we have some going red' this sounds like what I think of as Boxwood Blight or Decline, that section will also be stunted. Read about it in the link. We have lost some beautiful old shrubs due to the blight. By the time you cut out the dead part, the shape of the plant is ruined.
    I assume that we are talking about English Box?
    Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Boxwood Fact Sheet

• katycopsey
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sam
    Some of the redness I think is just trauma - the roots are white and the occurrence of redness is not increasing at a rapid rate. This is only occurring on transplanted boxwoods, the English kind.
    The phytopthora has been confirmed by the university lab, so is definately present on some. Right now I am checking the roots of all the tranplanted ones and trimming back to 12" or so any that seem to be declining - some are still trying to put out new growth at the base. The predominant feeling is that the rootball was too small on some of the larger specimens. Many of the smaller ones are still fine.
    Some, of course, just gave up the ghost, went that bleached look, flopped open and died. There is a temptation to curse, cajole and generally yell at the darn things when they start that decline business, because by the time you see the start, it is usually too late to remediate.
    Thank you for the link.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

I would only cut off top growth that is dead or dying (or has a poor shape, after they have perked up) because top growth supports root growth (and vice versa). But maybe that IS what you are doing.

Sponsored