Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mich_in_zonal_denial

A query for you Flamers.

no not those kind of flamers , the other ones, you know , the really hot ones.

Today we were flaming the edges of a blue stone counter top to give it that rusticated old time look and for the first time ever we had a real difficult time with the stone.

Instead of the usual nice little chips and spaulds , we were experiencing big pops and actual chunks of the stone delaminating.

The stone was clearly not cooperating .

Any ideas why this might be happening ?

In all the years wev'e been flaming stone we've never had such a challenging problem .

The blue stone was bluer in color than the usual variety that we work with.

The thickness of the stone was about 2.5 thick.

Comments (8)

• laag
    18 years ago

I will try to remember to ask the expert tomorrow. He told me in the past, that sometimes they would run water over it as they did it, if the flame was too hot. My guess is that the flame was too hot for that particular stone.

It looks to me like the bluer stone tends to be tighter (less flakey) and more solid. Maybe it does not allow for water vapors to escape fast enough which would cause it to pop. That is my guess. I'll try to get the answer tomorrow.

Let's not jump to conclusions on why I looked at this thread. Hmmm, what made the rest of you look at it?

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for checking in on this Andrew.

much appreciated.

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful:

• laag
    18 years ago

Mich,

I talked to the man. He said that it is too much heat for that stone. The heat is getting too deep into the stone. He always runs a hose right along with the torch as he goes across the stone. He said that if you are using oxy/acetylene, you might want to use propane and oxy on this one, he often does (it is not as hot).

PS. his work is top shelf and he has been around a long time.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Andrew,
    I couldn't bear to go to the job site today.
    It was just too painful to watch.
    I checked in by phone and Miguel said that the stone has started to cooperate and that he can hand dress the big chunk areas that spauld off.

Interesting that you should mention the two types of gas set up.
    I noticed that we had a totally new tank set up on the job but did not ask about it .

I'm unsure of what type of gas Miguel was running in these new double tanks.

I'll share this with him when we have our Monday morning meeting.

Thanks for checking in on this.

Michelle

• laag
    18 years ago

Michele,

Did it work out?

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Andrew,
    Miguel was able to hand dress the stone and save it.
    Whew !
    The rough slabs alone were about $ 1200.00, before any labor , cutting or moving the stone . . . . pricey stuff here on the west coast.

We still have a few days of detail type work to do around the project and then we will be done and then I move another contractor in for the carpentry construction of a new deck and entry gate.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bonsai_audge
    18 years ago

Looks nice! Just one question, though. Were the patio lights your idea? ; )

-Audric

• laag
    18 years ago

We call that technique "rock faced". I don't know how local that term is.

As with most stone, it is the distance that it is trucked that determines the price.