Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Seed surprises this spring?

calliope
14 years ago

Had a good spring growing season, decent sales season so I can't complain. But I'm curious to see if other growers noticed some unreliability with their seed labeling, or plug orders.

A good deal of my line is pre-sold, so I expect to get what I order and if I don't then 'you know what' rolls downhill. I based a whole line of plants this year on a particular palette, so that everything this particular client needed was already coordinated. IOW no matter what their customers chose from the line offered, it would go together. My picotee lisianthus I ordered by plugs ended up being snow white. OK........... I can live with that. Then another line of annual chrysanths were suppposed to be white, ringed with yellow and ended up every shade in the possible rainbow. Then we come to the giant, vivid purple zinnias and they ended up being lime green. I always pull out a small amount of whatever I am growing to stick samples of it in my own gardens to see what their performance really is, and as a control in case I get feedback from end-users. That way I know if the issue is the plant or their gardening. I'm just trying to get a handle on what part of the chain this is occuring. Sloppiness in the seed production..........some of it in the packaging, some of it at the plug production end? If these were sitting at a retail outlet, it wouldn't be so much of a deal......but it's really embarrassing to have a customer print up flyers and order sheets and then ship them something else. Anyone else have the same issues?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022