Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_inmo

What is a 'good weather year' for sales?

ellen_inmo
18 years ago

Hello, me again, the obsessed unprofessional with questions.

I am curious to know how the weather plays a role in your sales. Here in zone 6 Missouri, we had frost until May 1. Then, the entire month of May was the second driest in history. The past couple of weeks, temps are in the 90's. Please correct my thinking if I am way off. Wouldnt nurseries in this region, dealing with this type of weather, benefit from weather extremes? Our last frost date is April 15. Last year, folks had their flower beds started, if not finished, by that date. This year, knowledgable gardeners could not even get started until May 1.

Though I grow my own plants, I still shop other nurseries for plants I cannot grow from seed or cuttings. Being a consumer, I am tempted to shop at mid April, if not earlier, knowing it is too early, but I do not buy yet. What about those who do buy early? And then lose to frost. And then to lose plants due to dried up fried plants already by the end of May. It would seem that people would be hurting for bedding plants at the beginning of June.

Does weather play any role at all in making your choices, for what you provide, at certain time of the selling season? If your region had weather issues like we have had, would there be a demand for plants in June? And if so, are you able to get more plants to meet this demand? Do you notice a jump in sales after freak, late frosts?

I would like to know more about how you all deal with weather issues. Thanks for your time at this busy time of year.

Comments (4)