Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jesselangdon

Start a gardening career after a back injury?

jesselangdon
11 years ago

Hi Folks,

Up until recently, I have been fired up and gung-ho about changing careers from a mildly interesting computer-based career to a career as a professional gardener. I was about to sign up for an excellent 2 year horticulture program through Edmonds Community college, I've been conducting information interviews, etc. Unfortunately, I just recently tore a back muscle (after trying to lift and move a heavy BBQ pit on my own), had painful back spasms, also had to have an ambulance ride to the hospital, etc.

I'm recovering from this by babying my back, but I'm feeling pretty deflated now about my potential horticulture career change. I had always assumed I would need to be very careful with my back in this field of work, but now I'm wondering if I will be just too prone to back injuries to work as a professional gardener.

What advice can you all give me? Should I be realistic and give up on this idea? Assuming I can truly heal my back, build up my core strength, and learn to be smarter about how I lift heavy things, maybe it's possible?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored