Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_inmo

When will you get 2006 Wholesale catalogs?

ellen_inmo
18 years ago

When I worked at a greenhouse a few years back, I recall that we ordered seed and plugs in the fall for the following spring. Is this pretty standard for doing orders? If so, when will you receive these catalogs?

I am curious to know, as I am dieing to find out what the new introductions are for 2006. It would seem that you all would have a heads up on this. I admit to being a "what's-new-and-hot" snob when it comes to plants.

I am able to buy wholesale now, so I should be getting some catalogs now for next year, correct? I do not intend to order plugs, I grow from seed exclusively. Is there usually a "deadline" for getting seed orders in? A deadline for plug orders?

I appreciate anyone taking a bit of your time to answer these questions, as I still have much to learn. My "business" is quite small, it would seem rediculous to some that I am even liscensed, but I feel that learning the business/legal end of nursery business will be the most challenging for me, so I figured it was best to start learning when things are manageable.

Oh, by the way, I could not find the answer to this catalog question in any book!

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• viola8
    18 years ago

Call/email/fax those from whom you want catalogs. I do no seed growing, but like to have a seed catalog or two to help me know what's what as I order finished product. Ball Seed is out already.

I do order plugs--any time between now and Oct. I've received catalogs from Skagit, Euro American, and Yoder already. Terra Nova should be out in the next few weeks. I pick up quite a few at the locally held trade show here in August. I've not received catalogs from my primary broker yet--although once you begin ordering, you usually receive yearly catalogs direct from the grower. I sometimes do web searches for plug sources. Or contact advertisers in trade magazines. Some vendors have pretty nice web sites also.

Since I grow and order in finished product, I like to get all my plug ordering done in the fall. But if you're primarily a grower, or have plenty of time on your hands, you can be checking current availabilities year 'round and ordering plugs in whenever you'd like. There are frequently excellent sales on plugs, or items not listed in catalogs. Or really hot, new items available.

Have fun...

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

Keep in mind too that much of what is "new and hot" is also new and patented and therefore not available from seed. If you really want to be on the cutting edge with the new intros or that is what your customers are looking for, you might want to consider doing plugs.

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Hi Ellen, I have been getting some of the catalogues already, just this past week or two. I don't do seeds, but I get a few catalogues for seeds, and haven't received them yet. May I ask why you don't want to do plugs? As Gardengal said above, some of the newest are not available in seed. Also do you get the GMPro series of magazines. They are free to anyone in the business, and give many sources you can get catalogues from. And it's not ridiculous your business is small, I have had a small business for 30 years, with no intentions of getting big. Polly

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello everyone, thanks for your information. To explain a bit about me: my passion is growing from seed. From start to finish, I find it to be incredibly ......."rewarding" is the best word I can find at the moment. I know that it is much easier to order plugs. But until the day that I am not able to work my fingers to separate seedlings, I intend to do seeds as much as I can. However, I am also a very passionate gardener, so I do intend to own/sell plants that are only available as plugs. But this will be in the future yet, maybe next year. I will order a few things this year, to get the feel for it.

To define what is small. I am so small that I do not even have a greenhouse. Yet, I was able to produce over 25,000 plants from seed, in my home, and working with the weather to finish them. If you saw how much work I go through, you would think I am insane. Next year, I will have an unheated greenhouse, a small one, for hardening off and growing on. And in the next two years, I will have my permanant GH built. We already have the foundation and flooring done, with a gravel parking area surrounding. I also have room for expansion. However, I do not know just how "big" I intend to get. My customers are more like "clients" at this point, clients that are passionate gardeners, anxious to get their hands on plants they have only seen in catalogs. They remind me very much of myself when I was new to gardening: staring at catalogs all winter, making wish lists for spring, only to be let down when the local nurseries did not supply the plants listed in catalogs. My dream was always to supply those plants, to myself and others, and now that dream is coming true. I also have business owners as clients, which is another big reason for my having a liscense.

I realize 25,000 plants is nothing compared to what some folks here do, but I must admit that it is quite remarkable to do that many plants from within my home. My husband doesnt think so, though, he thinks I am looney! We have several unused rooms that are my "grow rooms". I am able to grow a lot of things outside during the month of April, that are ready for planting by mid May (such as Zinnias, Cosmos, Celosia). This saves me tremendous space.

I am enjoying educating my clients so much, I like the "personalness" of it. I think I would love it if I had only enough greenhouse space for myself and for a certain number of clients every year. However, I would never make a living like that! I have to say that I feel that my "clients" are lucky to have someone like me to help them, supply them, educate them as best as I can. I wish I had someone to help me years ago.

Anyway, that pretty much explains me.

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Ellen, what enthusiasm! That's a huge plus. If you are going to do a few plugs or bareroot this year, I would suggest you order the Walters Gardens catalogue right away. It should be coming out soon. They have only one flat minimum, and their plants have always been great, in my opinion. And they have a lot of the newer stuff. I wish you the best of luck. Polly

• susieluv2grow
    18 years ago

Hi Ellyn. I too grow from seed only. What a joy it is to do. I own a small nursery and grow around the same amount and more each year. I also do this alone.I think we are overachievers and nuts at times. I would not have it any othe way! I love what I do. I have been growing from seed for many years and also find it so rewarding. I have tried plugs and had mixed results. Within the first three days of receiving the plugs I had a infestation of aphid. I do not spray and have never had a problem with aphid,plus they were someone else from Orgon. I found it a challenge to keep up with the feeding program that the plants required.

Parkseed wholesale has a catalog out already and so does Ball Seed. Harris seed has a What's New for 2006. I noticed that Seeds of Change has a good selection of fresh and new varieties out already and also Gardens North. when you are searching seed sourses type in /wholesale. You may have to request a catalog. So much luck to you Ellen. Susie

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

If something is new and still under patent, wouldn't it also be illegal to propagate via cuttings?

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I havent seen anyone mention doing cuttings or propagating in this thread. We are simply talking about ordering plugs, repotting them, growing them on, and selling them. There isnt anything illegal about that. From what I understand, anyone with a liscence can order plugs and sell them. I never once mentioned propagating anything that is new, in an illegal manner.

Did you intend to post this on this thread? Because it doesnt seem to really fit in with what it being discussed here.

• calliope
    18 years ago

Plugs are generally seed grown plants anyway. Liner stock is the cutting grown material. All the plugs I order were once seeds.

Liner material is what is often (but not always) patented.

• perennialprincess
    18 years ago

Ellen - you should also put your hands on the new Goldsmith catalog - many lovely new items from them - I saw many of them at the pack trials in April, and they have excellent seed breeding. Also, a new catalog is out from Bodger seed - great seed varieties from them as well, and they have two separate catalogs, one for their seed grown material, and the other is Bodger Botanicals, their line of vegetative material. If you are into perennials, you should find the website of Jelitto and get their catalog as well. Most of the 2006 catalogs are out by now, not all, but most.

PP